Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you grunt at a running deer will it stop. I know that if they are not alerted they will stop. Any help will be helpful.
.308sniper

·
Premium Member
10,748 Posts
.308sniper said:
If you grunt at a running deer will it stop. I know that if they are not alerted they will stop. Any help will be helpful.
.308sniper
I usually whistle to make them stop. I have not tried to grunt at one while running.

·
Administrator
26,057 Posts
Deer are as individual as we are. How they react to any given stimulus is just as varied as how you or I or any other person will react to the same stimulus.

What all that means is you just cannot be sure how the deer will react to a grunt. I have several grunt calls and have used them on on deer. So far I've never ever blind called one in that I know of. At least none have ever showed up after blind calling. BUT if I see or hear them near me and call with an old Primos call I have them will "most" of the time come to me or in my direction.

BUT not always. I've had them run like a rabbit at the sound. I've had them ignore the sound. Now with NONE of the other grunt calls I own have I ever gotten a positive reaction from any deer I've used it on that was where I could see or hear the reaction. Why this is so I don't know but it is.

So don't be surprised at the reaction you get from any given deer when you grunt.

I do agree most times a loud whistle will stop them. Most times. Nothing is always with deer.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
:D I have seen them put on the brakes, turn and come directly toward me, but I have also seen them shift to another gear and high tail it out of the area. I agree with GB, they don't all act the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like Graybeard, I've had bucks respond to grunts a variety of ways. I've also had deer respond to a whistle by trotting to me. In my experience, you never know how they will react.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just my observation... I'm closing in on 100 bucks since 1959, between
NY-NC-ND. Since 1978 I have used grunts, any number of scents, rattlin' bags, etc. I stopped a few years ago. I can honestly say, I never felt that
any of this stuff helped me shoot any deer. I admit to probably being swayed by commercials. I hunt either by stealth, patience (often 2 plus
miles walk in, on stand all day), and I am vigilant about playing the wind.
Above all I am addicted to workouts.. more than deer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts