Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really pressuring the wife to stick a guide gun under the tree for me this year, was curious what bullets you guys are shooting cast/jacketed and what your primary use is of the gun? I think this will give me a reason to learn to cast bullets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in California and hunt pigs in the Condor Area. I am forced to use copper bullets. The lead ban is bad science but I have been very happy shooting 300 grain Barnes TSX's at around 2186 fps. using IMR 4198. My favorite pre-ban load was a 405 Remington flat point at 1842 fps. using H322. Both loads are serious thumpers and group around 1.5 inches at 100 yds.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Magilla26 said:
I live in California and hunt pigs in the Condor Area. I am forced to use copper bullets. The lead ban is bad science but I have been very happy shooting 300 grain Barnes TSX's at around 2186 fps. using IMR 4198. My favorite pre-ban load was a 405 Remington flat point at 1842 fps. using H322. Both loads are serious thumpers and group around 1.5 inches at 100 yds.
Does the CA lead ban allow any cast bullets? Are there lead free casting alloys that you can use?

·
Registered
73 Posts
To answer jlwilliams question: California law states that all bullets must contain 1% or less of lead by weight. This also includes .22LR, which sucks if you like to shoot ground squirrels.
I guess you could cast tin, antimony or bismuth but the cost would be prohibitive . Also, if you were to machine copper bullets from bar stock, many copper alloys such and brasses and bronzes contain more than 1% lead.
At this date, the condor zone and all state lands are lead free and by 7/1/19 the whole state will go lead free.

·
24,003 Posts
primary use is deer, bear, and pigs. I mostly use the rcbs 405 rfgc (that bullet shoots extremely good in every 4570 ive tried it in) but use many others. Favorite powder is re7

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I was in the the 45/70 World .. I found the good old 405gr Remingtos worked extremly well pushed t 1850 fps. But one factory load stood out dont let the weight / and description mis lead you , unbeleivable penetration. Federal 300 gr HP. The hollow point was not there ... Just a little dimple on top a BB could not fit in .. and the bullet was tuff ... Tuff .. Tuff it exited the barrel of my Rossi 20 inch barrel at a average of 1925 fps. I think the box said 1850fps but my buddies Chronograph said 1925fps
Great top shelf factory ammo .. It certainly sliced and diced a 250 lb feral hawg ..,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I carry 420 gr hard cast for growler protection in SE Alaska generally, except in the Fall I carry 540gr hard cast Garrets behind two 430 grain , and use 300 gr hollow points for Black tail deer.
I have been very happy with the 420gr hard cast on big bears , they hurt on both ends though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.