Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever read about the Israelis security force and later their air marshales issue pistol ? It was the Beretta model 70/71 in 22 LR. A relative small single action semi auto 22 pistol. If you google it you will find some interesting homeland battlefield story's about this famous gun and the elite troups that used them.

Yes even against terrorist groups and passenger plane hijack attempts they used the 22lr with success. ;)

The first pistol I gave my son was a beretta model 70. After he was killed in a car wreck I sold it. Now I wish I had kept it. They are delightful little jewels of the gunmakers art. Someday perhaps I'll find another.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
While not even close to your pistol, years ago my wife bought me, a Browning Buckmark Camp pistol. Kept it for several years, great little pistol, and traded it off. Then I noticed how useful it had been, and missed it. She got me another. I've put a red dot on it because of my aging eyes, but what a great little pistol.
The Mossad on the other hand are quite the marksmen, and a hot little 22 round with a headshot. Well, it'll work.

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
If it were legal, I would have hunted deer with the .22lr It's very underrated.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dee said:
While not even close to your pistol, years ago my wife bought me, a Browning Buckmark Camp pistol. Kept it for several years, great little pistol, and traded it off. Then I noticed how useful it had been, and missed it. She got me another. I've put a red dot on it because of my aging eyes, but what a great little pistol.
The Mossad on the other hand are quite the marksmen, and a hot little 22 round with a headshot. Well, it'll work.

I bought a browning buck mark camper model a number of years ago. When I put up my guns for sale, in the great Harley sell off it was among the ones that sold. I liked the buck mark. Accurate and light for its size, but I was driven to raise enough money to buy a new Harley. Really hard to not love a good 22 pistol. Among the most useful of guns.

Lord knows, I've killed a lot of game with the ones I had. Killed a lot of hogs with ear shots too. Even big ones in the 400 lb range. Most of that was with a model 18 S&W. And Ruger single sixes. Years ago I owned a wonderful colt woodsman first model. That pistol was a delight. My eyes were still good back then and I could ring the 200 yd gong every time from a rest.

But the Bretta always seemed to me to be a good size for a 22 auto pistol. Small enough to conceal but big enough to shoot good with. Actually I believe my old neighbor that owns a pawn shot has a couple in his used gun case. But I didn't look at the caliber. Most are in 32acp.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
Because of age, lose of weight (involuntarily), which = boney hands, and arthritis, I've moved back to the 1911 as an everyday carry. The Browning is set up just like the 1911. A plus for me when shootin. The only difference is the red dotsight on the Browning, which once again, makes it a squirrel gun.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well i'm more of a revolver guy since i'm a southpaw. I have not seen that many semi's friendly to my curse but I do enjoy shooting the wifes Beretta Neos, plus it chews through Fed bulk without a hiccup.

Gonna go do some research on the 70/71. If the IDF uses it it must really be something.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

The IDF used it in the 50s through 70s I believe. It's long out of production now and they have I believe gone to the 9mm.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Guess they had to switch to the 9 cuz they couldn't get any 22lr ammo.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I was just talking about this gun yesterday!! My grandfather had one he brought back from Germany WWII. I seem to remember M70/71.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ber...oTCJLVxK3wsMcCFUzRgAodiwsPbg&biw=1920&bih=971

I was thinking his guns over in my head and did not remember where this one went. A call to my uncle solved the problem. My uncle has it now. Also just yesterday my local dealer has a couple Beretta 87's. This is the new designation for this pistol IINM.

CW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.