Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have seen GunsonWheels post of free stuff over on the Classified boards.

It was good to hear from George, and hear that he is doing well. Since he dropped out of sight I was fearing the worse for him. I am glad my fears were not founded. George can fill in the blanks as to what has transpired and what is going on with him now, if he wishes. I won't.

I have claimed all the stuff he is offering. I am going to go pick it all up when I go North in April. I will take all to Montana. I will catalog and photo graph it and post it up here.

When I pick it up I will talk with George about how he wants it dispersed. He has expressed a desire that it all be given away to carry on and promote our hobby. I will discuss with him how to do that.

In order to pick this stuff up I will have to drive to Wyoming. This year it is on the route we are taking back to Cut Bank from Oklahoma. I will have to rent a trailer and load all this stuff. Then unload it when I get home. Some of this stuff is big an heavy. (a 12" diameter bowling ball mortar is not going to be picked up and moved by one guy.) I have a ton of work to do-literally and figuratively. Because of this, I am going to cherry pick this stuff. But my cherry may be your lemon...40 bowling balls? Well I could use 20 for sure.

I have a project for the radii cutter. If it is big enough and can be made to fit my lathe I am going to grab it. But I only have one project in mind, so this might be something that could be loaned to others here with similar needs. Something to discuss.

Also because of the size of some of this stuff shipping might be a project in its self. I do make road trips around the country, so I might be able work out a deal with getting it to you.

Here is the list. look it over. Start thinking about how you might be able to use this stuff, how it might help you with your project, or how you might finish GoW project.

1. Golf Ball Mortar by Armorer 77... Lots of golf balls
2. Beer/Pop Can Mortar by Armorer 77
3. UNFINISHED Pool Ball Mortar - Lots of Pool Balls
4. Bowling Ball Mortar - No Bed but some bed hardware - Tube is an elongated version of an 1841- HEAVY Machined from
a 12" diameter piece of 1018 with trunnion and touch-hole drilled. Comes with 40 undrilled bowling balls.
5. 20 MM barrel... perfect for a 1/4 scale Parrot Rifle exterior - need to contour and add reinforcing band and breech
plug and trunnions... also have wheels for this guy. You'll need to also come up with a mold.
6. Golf Ball Parrot cannon tube by Armorer 77 We also have his GB mold for lead balls and a couple buckets of wheel weights.
With 1/4 scale wheels by customwagons.com for this one
7. 1/2 Scale Ordnance Rifle... less trunnions and the breech plug needs modifying to NOT have a sharp corner in the powder chamber.
Also have a fairly nice mini-ball mold for this guy. And a pair of 1/2 scale (30"dia.) wheels by customwagons.com.
8. Some .632 scale carriage irons
9. 40 mm BOFORS core/sleeve for building up a barrel... 48" long x 2.25" diameter
10. 40 mm BOFORS barrel with some weld cladding on the muzzle end and then stress relieved
11. 3/4 Scale ordnance wheels (42" diameter) by customwagons.com
12. Several copies of Lutz's books... (AOP Plans)
13. Also have a radius cutter for a medium sized lathe (Mine's a 13x54 SouthBend)

Look the list over and if you see something that interests you, drop me an email at [email protected]. Tell what you like and what you intend to do with it. Time and date stamp of email will be used to determine first come first served.

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Gunsonwheels Legacy Cache

I got a number of emails and phone calls today about this stuff. Remember, email only to claim something.

I have responded to all emails I have received. If you sent an email and did not get a reply please resend.

In the emails I gave you your ranking in right to refuse. Once I have the stuff I will post the pictures and give you the right to accept or refuse. Since it is going to be about 2 months until I pick this stuff, or when you see what the stuff is, you could change your mind. If you decline I will give the next person in line a chance to refuse or decline.

I have listed in red after each item a number indicating items that have been asked for and the number of persons with refusal rights. For instance the beer pop can mortar has three people in line.

Also Jane will be helping me move all this stuff. She has expressed an interest in acquiring another cannon. She will be given first shot at the cannons, if she wants one. But she only gets one. She will be doing some of the grunt work and I have to live with her. Sorry.

I am not going to reserve all the AOP plans until we have the titles. I think it would more in keeping with George's generosity to the give the plans to individuals with specif projects than have some grab them all up and put them up on the shelf.

1. Golf Ball Mortar by Armorer 77... Lots of golf balls 1st, 2nd[/color]
2. Beer/Pop Can Mortar by Armorer 77 1st, 2nd, 3rd[/color]
4. Bowling Ball Mortar - No Bed but some bed hardware - Tube is an elongated version of an 1841- HEAVY Machined from
a 12" diameter piece of 1018 with trunnion and touch-hole drilled. Comes with 40 undrilled bowling balls. 1st mortar tube and hardware[/color][/color] I claim the balls[/color]
5. 20 MM barrel... perfect for a 1/4 scale Parrot Rifle exterior - need to contour and add reinforcing band and breech 1st[/color]
plug and trunnions... also have wheels for this guy. You'll need to also come up with a mold.
6. Golf Ball Parrot cannon tube by Armorer 77 We also have his GB mold for lead balls and a couple buckets of wheel weights.
With 1/4 scale wheels by customwagons.com for this one 1st.[/color]
7. 1/2 Scale Ordnance Rifle... less trunnions and the breech plug needs modifying to NOT have a sharp corner in the powder chamber.
Also have a fairly nice mini-ball mold for this guy. And a pair of 1/2 scale (30"dia.) wheels by customwagons.com.
8. Some .632 scale carriage irons
9. 40 mm BOFORS core/sleeve for building up a barrel... 48" long x 2.25" diameter
10. 40 mm BOFORS barrel with some weld cladding on the muzzle end and then stress relieved
11. 3/4 Scale ordnance wheels (42" diameter) by customwagons.com 1st[/color]
13. Also have a radius cutter for a medium sized lathe (Mine's a 13x54 SouthBend) I claim the radii cutter as previously stated.

[/color]

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

1. Golf Ball Mortar by Armorer 77... Lots of golf balls 1st, 2nd[/color]
a 12" diameter piece of 1018 with trunnion and touch-hole drilled. Comes with 40 undrilled bowling balls. 1st mortar tube and hardware[/color][/color] DD claims the balls[/color]
5. 20 MM barrel... perfect for a 1/4 scale Parrot Rifle exterior - need to contour and add reinforcing band and breech
plug and trunnions... also have wheels for this guy. You'll need to also come up with a mold.1st[/color]
With 1/4 scale wheels by customwagons.com for this one 1st, 2nd.[/color]
Also have a fairly nice mini-ball mold for this guy. And a pair of 1/2 scale (30"dia.) wheels by customwagons.com. 1st[/color]
8. Some .632 scale carriage irons 1st[/color]
10. 40 mm BOFORS barrel with some weld cladding on the muzzle end and then stress relieved 1st, 2nd[/color]
13. Also have a radius cutter for a medium sized lathe (Mine's a 13x54 SouthBend) I claim the radii cutter as previously stated.[/color]

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is the list of unclaimed items.

12. Several copies of Lutz's books... (AOP Plans) (Hold for titles)[/color]

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

For now I have pinned this to the top off the board so it is easier to find.

I had a very nice email from George yesterday and thought I would share it with you.

I hope your tow vehicle is a truck or fair sized SUV... This BB tube is probably several hundred pounds and then there is the 40 undrilled bowling balls (about 15# each - or 600#)... about 300# of 40 mm barrels, another 300# of wheels. Be around 1500# total...???

I really appreciate your homing in on my desire to have it all go out in one batch and your commitment to get it into the hands of people who appreciate it... my love for all the potential it represents is still strong and I hope the potential of the parts and pieces will both be realized and appreciated.

George
I often wondered what i would do with the stuff I have. This has given me some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

10 am update

1. Golf Ball Mortar by Armorer 77... Lots of golf balls 1st[/color]
a 12" diameter piece of 1018 with trunnion and touch-hole drilled. 1st[/color]
4a. Comes with 40 undrilled bowling balls. DD claims only the balls[/color]
plug and trunnions... also have wheels for this guy. You'll need to also come up with a mold.1st[/color]
Also have a fairly nice mini-ball mold for this guy. And a pair of 1/2 scale (30"dia.) wheels by customwagons.com. 1st[/color]
10. 40 mm BOFORS barrel with some weld cladding on the muzzle end and then stress relieved 1st, 2nd, 3rd[/color]
13. Also have a radius cutter for a medium sized lathe (Mine's a 13x54 SouthBend) I claim the radii cutter as previously stated.[/color]

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

1. Golf Ball Mortar by Armorer 77... Lots of golf balls 1st[/color]
3. UNFINISHED Pool Ball Mortar - Lots of Pool Balls 1st, 2nd[/color]
a 12" diameter piece of 1018 with trunnion and touch-hole drilled. 1st[/color]
4a. Comes with 40 undrilled bowling balls. DD claims only the balls[/color]
9. 40 mm BOFORS core/sleeve for building up a barrel... 48" long x 2.25" diameter 1st[/color]
10. 40 mm BOFORS barrel with some weld cladding on the muzzle end and then stress relieved 1st, 2nd, 3rd[/color]

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Everything except the AOP plans have a claim. When I get those I will list them and will get those out for George. If you wish to be second or third on anything please send me an email with your request. [email protected] People often change their minds so you could end up with something.

Again I will pick all this stuff up from George the end of April. I will take it to my house in Cut Bank, MT.

From there you will have to make arrangements for it to be shipped to your destination. So start thinking about that, especially if you have to have it quick.

I do travel around and will work with you if you are along my route to get it to you. You will have to be on my time schedule for that.

Here are the trips I have tentatively planned for this year, starting with the pickup.

Cody, WY - Challis, ID - Cut Bank MT

End of June. Same trip October or November : Cut Bank, MT - Jordon, MT - Edmond, OK.
Return Mid July Edmond, OK - Cut Bank.
This could cover Montana, Eastern Idaho, North Eastern Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota,, North East New Mexico, Northern Texas, Nebraska and Kansas.

September: Cut Bank - Spokane, WA - Bend, OR - Medford, OR - Crescent City, CA - Astoria, OR - Boise, ID -Challis ID - Cut Bank, MT

If you were with in driving distance OKC I could bring stuff here for pick up. Same with any place along my route, If you can meet me, you can get it.

I do make trips east, but do not have any planned for this year.

From Edmond, I might travel to Minneapolis, MN - Bloomington, IL or Annapolis, MD, most likely next spring.

I think we all owe George a very big thank you for his generosity and kindness. I do hope he enjoys his new life. He sounded very happy when I talked with him.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Yes, Thank you George, your generosity is overwhelming! And thanks DD for doing this.............. Gary

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

Thank you George! Not many people would consider this amount of generosity. Thanks To Double D for making it happen!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts

Big thanks to George for making these items available to others who love this hobby and to Douglas for taking on the logistics of picking it up and working to get it distributed.

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Double said:
Again I will pick all this stuff up from George the end of April. I will take it to my house in Cut Bank, MT.

From there you will have to make arrangements for it to be shipped to your destination. So start thinking about that, especially if you have to have it quick.
Let me re-emphasize this. You are responsible for shipping/transportation from Montana to your location. Start thinking about how you are going to do that.

Tentative P/U from GoW is Tuesday the 28th.

I do travel around and will work with you if you are along my route to get it to you. You will have to be on my time schedule for that.
Always subject to change

Here are the trips I have tentatively planned for this year, starting with the pickup.

Cody, WY - Challis, ID - Cut Bank MT

End of June. Same trip October or November : Cut Bank, MT - Jordon, MT - Edmond, OK. (routing depends on who is where, when or if I fill my deer tags and weather)
Return Mid July Edmond, OK - Cut Bank. (will be flying back to OKC for 4th of July.)

This could cover Montana, Eastern Idaho, North Eastern Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, North Dakota, South Dakota,, North East New Mexico, Northern Texas, Nebraska and Kansas.

September: Cut Bank - Spokane, WA - Bend, OR - Medford, OR - Crescent City, CA - Astoria, OR - Boise, ID -Challis ID - Cut Bank, MT

If you were with in driving distance OKC I could bring stuff here for pick up. Same with any place along my route, If you can meet me, you can get it.

I do make trips east, but do not have any planned for this year.

From Edmond, I might travel to Minneapolis, MN - Bloomington, IL or Annapolis, MD, most likely maybe next spring.

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay things are progressing for the pick-up.

WindElevation, Gary is coming up from Denver to help me load. He has also offer to transport for anyone along the route from Powell, WY to Denver, or who will come to Denver to pick-up.

Anybody want to pick up in Denver.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
It looks like at least some claims were confirmed. Has cataloging been done?

·
Super Moderator
16,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, I pick up everything from George tomorrow. Everything will be off loaded Friday at Southpaw's. Early next week I will sort, photograph and weighed everythin. I will send the details to first rights by email.

Acceptors will need to be ready to tell me how they want the stuff delivered.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts