Graybeard Outdoors banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Really appreciate all the guidance fellas, unfortunately this looks to be heading for the to hard basket.

I am unsure what the difference is in those two pins opposite the center one, does this perhaps something to do with an ejector like my 22 mag and extractor on my friends 223 the pins on his are very close to the center one.

I really bought this rifle with the idea of a switch barrel as I have a lot 5mm ammo and love the round.

Would an early handi rifle in 22 hornet have the same set up as mine

John

·
Super Moderator
50,977 Posts
All H&R inc barrels and H&R/NEF centerfire rifle barrels prior to about 2004-2007(varies with chambering) had ejectors, then they switched to extractors on centerfire rifles only. Ejectors and extractors have the same number of pins, but extractors have 2 pins close to the trip pin, ejectors have a pin at the front next to the pivot and another a little farther behind the trip pin than the rear pin on the extractor, the difference is easiest to see from the bottom, the ejector latch fills the entire opening in the ejector housing where as the extractor(top) just has the cam. There is one other type extractor that has a set screw in the bottom of the housing, but that was only on some 2004-2005 barrels IIRC.

Tim

Bottom pic is ejector

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tim

Very grateful for your help, as you can see in my photo my rimfire barrel block is identical to the bottom photo so its an ejector and looks like it might be easier to find a stub or a complete pivot block if that's the correct term

My s/n is AN 264671

Whilst I have it broken down I will post some photos so you can see the firing pin indent I believe you asked for that

Once again my thanks
John

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
John - that is a beauty! I have a 22 Hornet and a 30-30 in the model 157 - I have a real soft spot for those.

Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dan, its strange that its the only 157 ive seen down here and its in the hardest caliber to find. I have no luck in finding a stub so looks like my plans for the 5mm haven fallen over.

I am looking at mounting a Vortex diamondback 2-7x35 on it I think that will work best for what I do and its a nice compact scope

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
John,
I finally get to see the rifle and it looks like a beauty. I would not want to change anything as far as the original barrel and stock goes but stubbing another barrel would work. You might have to figure out a way to add a front stock to the barrel but that's not a great problem. I wondered if you ever got the light firing pin hits worked out. One thing that might be a problem is I don't believe anybody makes .20 caliber liners. another problem might be that the existing firing pin would not be out far enough to strike the 5mm remington magnum rim if you did find a barrel for the conversion. The 22 magnum is a nice round and if you ever got a wild hair the rifle could be lined for 17HMR or find a similar barrel and line it to 17HMR and save that original barrel as is.

I have to correct myself on what I had said about the firing pin. I looked your model 157 up on Numrich Arms and the schematic drawing shows there is a cross pin that holds your firing pin in place. I realized after seeing the drawing that your rifle and my shotgun have little in common. I still wonder if junk could have collected over time inside the firing pin area since it is a rimfire and they tend to be a bit dirty.

My H&R topper is actually a 20ga shotgun I shortened to 20" and made inserts for the barrel. The picture of the shotgun with the 38 Special insert is shown along with a picture of the muzzle. since I change the inserthttps://i.imgur.cs they are held in place with rubber O rings. I've done the same with 22lr but in my case have to offset the 22 barrel.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/6DFghoj.jpg?4

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Charlie welcome aboard the good ship frustration lol

I will have an email to you later today have just located a 410 & 20 gauge barrel both with poor bores so far it looks like one will be gifted to me from a mate here we just looking at things to find the best.

Also as you suggested Green Mountain makes 5mm, 204" barrels so things are getting closer once I pull these together I will then have to borrow or higher a reamer

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Progress fellas, my my mate sent me the 12 gauge barrel and it darn near closed tight when I fitted it to the action, the big 12 gauge extractor seem to be the problem. Nearly 71 years old I don't get excited much anymore but i'm like old Jedd Clampett dancing around the living room.

So first up I need a rimfire extractor any tips ? If someone has one I can trade you the forend wood with the fittings. I best learn how to pull the extractor system down also

Now to find a 20 cal barrel looking at green mountain if I can't find a take off over here

John

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
John - I just posted photos of my 32 H&R ejector. Do you know any machinists over there? I would be willing to provide drawings of my work if it would help you any.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dan I live in a very isolated area several hours from any major towns, I have been following your progress with great interest sure wish I had your skills but if I can't do it with a chain saw then it does'nt get done:tango_face_wink:
I have the 22 magnum barrel of course I guess I could remove the ejector and just get it copied but the rim on the 5mm is a little thicker and wider

Appreciate your kind offer

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Glad you had a good day mate mine was the exact opposite. I mounted a new scope and had some time this morning to sight it in, no luck would not fire any ammo at all.

When I first got the rifle I shot S&B ok but Remington was hit and miss now it wont fire any ammo at all.

I broke the action held the trigger back and pushed the hammer forward making the firing pin protrude seems to out plenty far enough,

tried pulling the trigger hard and all the way back still nothing, any tips?

John

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
New scope? The hammer isn't hitting the scope is it?

·
Super Moderator
50,977 Posts
Remove the hammer spur extension if it has one.

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Scope is clear of hammer, I will the hammer extension and try that. Do these cause a problem by adding weight to the hammer? I saw a heavier spring advertised but can't find after an hour searching

John

·
Super Moderator
50,977 Posts
The early M157 had a rebounding hammer which used a double coil hammer spring, later models with transfer bar had a single coil spring, Wolff makes the extra power springs(FAQs). With a weak hammer spring adding a hammer spur extension can cause light pin strikes.

Tim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks so much Tim, I will locate the seller and have one sent a coil spring should be no problem

John

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh bugger, now it wont **** the hammer clearly something broken inside.

I guess there is a tutorial in faq's for pulling the rifle down and re assembling again appreciate any help on the sequence to follow

John

·
Super Moderator
50,977 Posts
Download Perklo's trigger instructions in the FAQs.

Tim

21 - 40 of 43 Posts