Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father passed away recently, and left me a H & R 158 in 44 mag. My question concerns the forearm. He put a leather forearm band that he had made laced with 550 cord around the forearm . I had fired it several times before I gave it a closer check. I discovered the lug to secure the forearm is non existent. The gun fired fine, my question, is the forearm lug missing an immediate problem or can I hunt the season opener this week end with it as is ! Either way it will retain that leather band for sentimental reasons ! Thanks in advance for the help! :)

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Welcome to GBO! No safety issues that I can see. Shoot it now and work on it next summer. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Super Moderator
51,496 Posts
Welcome hrgriz! No safety issues, in fact it can be fired without the forend installed, but if the barrel stud(threaded or snap-on) is missing, the forend could slip forward and the barrel detach from the frame and fall off when the action is opened.

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a screw on type and I have already checked out the link you sent me thanks for the help! Also Dinny thanks for the thumbs up on going ahead and using it this weekend as I know he would be if he was still with us. And thanks for the welcome ;D ;D As tight as this leather sleeve is I don't have to worry about unwanted seperation of the barrel and frame, its laced up like a ladies corset :)

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
hrgriz said:
It is a screw on type and I have already checked out the link you sent me thanks for the help! Also Dinny thanks for the thumbs up on going ahead and using it this weekend as I know he would be if he was still with us. And thanks for the welcome ;D ;D As tight as this leather sleeve is I don't have to worry about unwanted seperation of the barrel and frame, its laced up like a ladies corset :)

WELCOME!!

Good advice given!

Enjoy "dads'' gun!

CW

·
Registered
791 Posts
hrgriz, welcome to GBO and " Handiholics Unanimous.'' Enjoy your dad's H&R, it will work well for you and bring you good memories. Take care, John :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the answers, and the welcome from all of you. An unbelievable amount of info and knowledge on here . I will keep a good check to make sure the forearm stays tight, as I can envision opening it up in a hurry and having a two piece rifle. I fired it a couple of times today with the ammo that came with it ( Winchester 240 grain soft points ) and love the non existent recoil. A far cry from my 06 ! It will shoot minute of deer no problem. :) Thanks!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Vash said:
Was/is it a snap on forend or did it have a screw. Both can be bought here. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/281650.htm#281660 Then silver soldered to the barrel.
Thanks for the link....should put one on the old Topper Buck 162....slug gun...has the snap-on lug.

First time I fired it with a 1 0z slug, recoil lifted it up and off the lug....and as my right hand with the receiver came back....thumb nail sliced my eye brow.....
And as I was reeling back, inadvertently hit the break lever....so barrel rolled off on to the ground.......

I was standing there receiver in one hand,.... forearm in the other....barrel on the ground... smoke coming out both ends....with blood running down my face.

Thought it blew up.

Interesting fix, lace up leather holder.....

Thanks for posting both of y'all

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
hunter63 said:
Vash said:
Was/is it a snap on forend or did it have a screw. Both can be bought here. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/281650.htm#281660 Then silver soldered to the barrel.
Thanks for the link....should put one on the old Topper Buck 162....slug gun...has the snap-on lug.

First time I fired it with a 1 0z slug, recoil lifted it up and off the lug....and as my right hand with the receiver came back....thumb nail sliced my eye brow.....
And as I was reeling back, inadvertently hit the break lever....so barrel rolled off on to the ground.......

I was standing there receiver in one hand,.... forearm in the other....barrel on the ground... smoke coming out both ends....with blood running down my face.

Thought it blew up.

Interesting fix, lace up leather holder.....

Thanks for posting both of y'all
My 162 buck has the screw and was made in 1972.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
. . .laced up like a corset. . . :eek:

i had enough problem out in the woods thinking
about the womenfolk, now looking at my handi
out in the solitude of the wilds i'll have a new
thing to break my concentration on the hunting chore :( :eek: :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think maybe it is a Lyman ...I had taken off the part you are missing, years ago.....but kept it.
Lost the small screw that held it on......

One day found one in a "junk jar"...tried it and it fit....don't know where the screw came from...was a bit garfed
up....but works.

I do like the lace up part, that is a heck of an idea
Might soak up some raw hide.....lace it on mine and let dry.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ranger I see what you mean about the "corset"description,is kind of a distracting thought! But I prefer that description over my old jump boots ;) It does work well though,and the natural leather color gives it a backwoods look! Of course,here in Ky it should be duct tape and bailing wire ;D

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
i have seen somewhere in a book where a man
from one of the south american indian tribes
had broken the latch on his single break open
shotgun. he'd fashioned a rawhide "latch" for
it to where it was slid forward down onto the forearm
to unlock for loading and unloading, and slid back
over the barrel and receiver area to hold it shut
to fire.

·