Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So until today I had never fired a gun with a scope. About (2) weeks back I was bidding on online auction (same one I bought Pietta parts gun) anyway I see this scope SWIFT 4 X 20 WATERPROOF SCOPE looks like it's going to go cheap so I pick it up for $15.00USD inc buyers premium. Bought the Weaver rail and rings and mounted it myself. Got it zero'ed in at 100 yards with 5" group this morning now to see how tight I can make my groups before I go back to my peep sight.

Retreever

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Cant see your pictures. But I've seen them swift scopes around

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant see your pictures. But I've seen them swift scopes around

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Guy on another forum says it's for a .22 and won't hold up but it was fun - I'll work with it till it fails.

Retreever

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Next time you take it out and shoot it from the bench try to get the front rest under the receiver up against the trigger guard. H&R's tend to shoot better if you dont rest on the forend

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip ill give it a try.

Retreever

·
Super Moderator
51,054 Posts
Looks like fun as long as it has sufficient eye relief. I have a Leupold 1-4x20 on my 50-140 BC, worked fine shooting 570gr Hornady DGS at 2200fps from 100yds on a leadsled. I swapped the BC furniture out for lams, didn't want to break anything....on it or me!! o_O

Tim

50-140 Sharps 3¼ Luepold 1-4x20.jpg
50-140 570gr Hornady DGS 110gr H4350.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the eye relief is ok I haven't hit myself lol. I might move it a little closer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I miss something or did you say 5" group? That ain't good.

Rosewood
It is for me :ROFLMAO: - I plan to shoot it again next weekend. Now that it's at least on target i can pay more attention to my steadiness and trigger pull. By way of explanation/excuse prior to this summer I had not fired a rifle in 30+ years so still figuring stuff out. But I'm having fun and that's all that counts for me.

Retreever

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
10-4. That gun should shoot much better than that. Good to know it probably the trigger finger and not the trigger.... The trigger finger will get much better with practice.

·
Super Moderator
51,054 Posts
Guy on another forum says it's for a .22 and won't hold up but it was fun - I'll work with it till it fails.

Retreever
5" groups may mean it already failed, or the BC just doesn't like the load you're using which appear to be cast bullet handloads, what diameter bullet?

Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5" groups may mean it already failed, or the BC just doesn't like the load you're using which appear to be cast bullet handloads, what diameter bullet?

Tim
More likely the problem is the shooter :ROFLMAO: , bullet diameter is 0.485.

Retreever

·
Super Moderator
51,054 Posts
More likely the problem is the shooter :ROFLMAO: , bullet diameter is 0.485.

Retreever
Not necessarily, if you meant .458", that's a bit small, you'd do better with .459" or .460", even up to .462" if it will chamber, I've slugged several H&R 45-70 bores, they've all been .458" ish groove diameter and slightly bigger at the muzzle by .0005" due to not being stress relieved prior to contouring, using a groove or sub-groove diameter cast bullet isn't conducive to good accuracy, cast bullets should be at least .001"-.002" larger than groove diameter per the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. Jacketed bullets work fine at groove diameter, but cast not so much. There's a little wiggle room when working with lead alloys, but the easier route is just using a cast bullet that's as large in diameter as can be chambered, the easy test is check how your bullet fits the mouth of an unsized fired case, if it's loose, you have the ability to chamber a larger diameter bullet that would be more accurate.

Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not necessarily, if you meant .458", that's a bit small, you'd do better with .459" or .460", even up to .462" if it will chamber, I've slugged several H&R 45-70 bores, they've all been .458" ish groove diameter and slightly bigger at the muzzle by .0005" due to not being stress relieved prior to contouring, using a groove or sub-groove diameter cast bullet isn't conducive to good accuracy, cast bullets should be at least .001"-.002" larger than groove diameter per the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. Jacketed bullets work fine at groove diameter, but cast not so much. There's a little wiggle room when working with lead alloys, but the easier route is just using a cast bullet that's as large in diameter as can be chambered, the easy test is check how your bullet fits the mouth of an unsized fired form case, if it's loose, you have the ability to chamber a larger diameter bullet that would be more accurate.

Tim
Thanks Tim, I have been buying my cast bullets locally , just checked the box - says dia. is .4585. Must be getting dyslexic in my old age. I have recently purchased a .459 dia 405g hollow base double mold from Lee and hope to start casting my own bullets in the near future. I will try your suggested test after shooting this weekend.

Retreever

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had a Buffalo Classic for over 20 years and I haven't shot it yet. It is so short throated that I can't load my 405 grain bullets short enough to chamber. I have a throating reamer but I haven't had a shop to work in for that long either. I put a Williams target sight on it and I picked up a pallet wood set for a straighter stock if I ever shoot heavy loads. I have been shooting my Siamese Mauser conversion for fun for 40 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have had a Buffalo Classic for over 20 years and I haven't shot it yet. It is so short throated that I can't load my 405 grain bullets short enough to chamber. I have a throating reamer but I haven't had a shop to work in for that long either. I put a Williams target sight on it and I picked up a pallet wood set for a straighter stock if I ever shoot heavy loads. I have been shooting my Siamese Mauser conversion for fun for 40 years.
RVance, is yours a 45-70? The 405g RNFP lead bullets is all I shoot from my BC , I reload my own 55g triple7 , no problem seating the bullet to meet the overall length max

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mine is short also. I wanted to just neck size, but had issues with the brass gripping the boolit when seated deep enough. Ended up having to partial size it so it would hold the boolit firm.

Rosewood

1 - 20 of 26 Posts