Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a 20ga fully rifled H&R. Not the Ultra model. What slugs seems to shoot the best out of these guns? My 12ga loves the Remington Buckhammers but they are no longer made. What say you?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can spend a small fortune in slugs trying to find the magic one. I shot winchester partitions for years through my 20 USH, then all the sudden they didn't group. Manufactures do change the components and still package them the same! I then settled on the federal solid copper slug. Kind of pricey, but do they ever put a deer down. The 20 USH is quite heavy, it absorbs a lot of recoil from the faster slugs. You may want to keep that in mind if a recoil sensitive person is to use the firearm. I tried winchester dual bonds through the USH and trackerII barrels with no success. Good luck and good hunting.
James3

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
My tracker II 20ga shot lightfield hybrid express 2 3/4” to a clover leaf at 75 yards

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our local stores don’t have much 20ga selection now and a lot of the online stores aren’t stocked up yet either. I will have to keep an eye out for some of these suggestions.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Mine likes Hornady SST's. My BIL's likes Remington Copper Solids. I've heard these guns prefer 2-3/4" ammo.....

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Boy if there was a way to answer that question....

Whom ever figured THAT out would be a RICH RICH PERSON!

Sorry to say there aint no way to know till ya TRY IT! EVERY barrel is an entity unto itself and comes with its very own set of likes and dislikes. They cant talk so you simply have to find it yourself!!

I now have three 20g Ultra slug guns. My pops my. brothers and my own. And a 12 g Ultra slug.

Yea I know you said it was NOT the ultra. But its a example.

The 12 shoots Buch hammers and Rem ULTRA plastic tip jobbers very well. It also HATES Rem copper Solids & Barnes expanders!

MY 20 shoots SST, very well but neither my Bros or pops will shoot worth a darn. Believe it Federal pumpkin ball loads shoot on top of each other!! My lil brother shoots older Federal barnes copper bullets. But I haven't shot his allot. Pop was shooting light field something.

OOH, also mine and pops are ONE SN DIGIT APART!!

So pick what ya like and I hope it shoots well
For ya

CW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I finally got to shoot the 20ga and it liked about every different slug I put through it but the Remington Accutips were the most consistent. I only shot at 50 yards but even old school Remington Sluggers shot m/o deer at that range. Shot about 20 rounds and then my shoulder was done. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts