Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded some more of my load test from other day. Shooting H&R Single Shot 35 rem at 75 yards. Powder H335 200 FTX. 36 grains to 41 grains. I have grains listed at bottom. I did shoot 41 grains at two different seat depth. I didn’t see much change in my groupings. Squares are .5 inch

Attachments

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would load about .015-.020" off the lands. Then try a different powder. That is a great bullet. I used it in a 357max and still in a 358win. Very accurate. Just got to try a few different things.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Just change one thing at a time. If you have one powder charge that you think is showing some potential then try that with a few different seating depths.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That's absolutely correct. Getting ahead of myself not knowing the shooters experience level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I actually set bullets very short. Almost at minimum 2.524. The last 41 grain I set at 2.540, which was max for FTX. I only had to primmer casings at rang when shooting. So those two were only 1” apart. But really they are all about 1.5 grouping so not to bad. My factory is usually 1.5 to 2” grouping. So how do pick which load if they all group the same? Most powder or least powder or somewhere in middle? I would say 38 based on my current scope settings. But 41 would allow me to shot further if needed.

·
Administrator
26,206 Posts
That decision is best made using a chronograph. That way you can see what velocity each is giving as well as the SD and how much extra velocity each extra grain of powder provides. Such info is valuable in making final load decisions.

Minus the chrono I guess one way to select is as good as the next.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I don't have a chronograph so usually pick the maximum safe load that gives good accuracy (or precision). Then vary seating depth starting at the maximum length that fits your chamber without touching the lands (rifling). Then load 5 rounds at 0.020" increments shorter. Up to 0.1" off the lands. Some bullets like the longer jump, some like no jump, some like it in between.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All great advice. Think I’m going to go with the 41 grains and start plan with bullet seating depth with lands.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All great advice. Think I’m going to go with the 41 grains and start plan with bullet seating depth with lands.
according to Hodgdon your 41 grains of H335 is over the Max load of 37 grains maybe your accuracy is do to that?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I can't even find H335 listed for that bullet. I'd swap powders.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Its not for the FTX but the HDY 200 RN is listed seems they would be close in max loads ?
Yes, especially since comparing to powders listed for both bullets, the HDY 200 RN uses more powder. The 37.0 would likely be a little over max with the FTX.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I shoot the 200 gr FTX out of my vintage Marlin 336SC with a load of IMR4064 36grs and get very good groups

1 - 13 of 13 Posts