Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an H&R barrel chambered in .25-20 and if so, does anyone have one for sale? Prefer carbine, but would look at pistol length. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
51,047 Posts
It was never a factory option, I only know of a couple that have had rebores done, Graybeard had Wayne York turn his H&R Hornet into a 25-20.

Tim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was never a factory option, I only know of a couple that have had rebores done, Graybeard had Wayne York turn his H&R Hornet into a 25-20.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I had heard that there were some Contender barrels in the .25-20 WCF. Do you know if this is true? Did Thompson Center make such a barrel? Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks Tim. I had heard that there were some Contender barrels in the .25-20 WCF. Do you know if this is true? Did Thompson Center make such a barrel? Thanks.
I have a factory Contender carbine barrel in .25-20 WCF, it's a hoot to shoot. I load most of my own ammo so cost is not a factor.

·
Super Moderator
51,047 Posts
My "fever" may have cooled down a bit, after seeing the price of this ammo. If I found a barrel, I'd definitely need a set of dies, so I could afford to shoot it. Right now, I'm letting the ammo (141 rounds) wag the barrel pursuit, instead of the other way around.
Been there myself, sorta, had no real interest in the 500S&W Handi, but found a couple boxes of bullets and dies marked way down, so had to buy a barrel, of course!! :tango_face_smile_bi

Tim

Reactions: 45/70fan

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
i've always wanted a winchester m92 in 25/20. my friends late uncle had one with a peep sight(i'm thinking redfield, but it could be a lyman.). he was a farmer and the 25/20 was his "truck gun". he shot everything from groundhogs to pheasants to turkeys to foxes to coyotes to deer and a few cows that had to be put down. you know the phrase, beware of the man that only uses one gun. he was the one it was made for!!!!!

my 25/20 will probably made from MGM(tc encore/'tender barrels).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a factory Contender carbine barrel in .25-20 WCF, it's a hoot to shoot. I load most of my own ammo so cost is not a factor.
Bob T, do you use it for hunting or just punching holes in paper? How accurate is it out to 100 yards? I have a bunch of Contenders. Wish I could find a .25-20 WCF barrel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've always wanted a winchester m92 in 25/20. my friends late uncle had one with a peep sight(i'm thinking redfield, but it could be a lyman.). he was a farmer and the 25/20 was his "truck gun". he shot everything from groundhogs to pheasants to turkeys to foxes to coyotes to deer and a few cows that had to be put down. you know the phrase, beware of the man that only uses one gun. he was the one it was made for!!!!!

my 25/20 will probably made from MGM(tc encore/'tender barrels).
tdoyka, I was raised on a farm and back then, most people either just had one gun or a shotgun and a rifle. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the .25-20 WCF held the record for the largest whitetail deer. I have seen the article, but can't remember if it was in Pennsylvania or Tennessee.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bob T, do you use it for hunting or just punching holes in paper? How accurate is it out to 100 yards? I have a bunch of Contenders. Wish I could find a .25-20 WCF barrel.
I do hunt with it on occasion, it is a sub moa gun if I do my part, head shooting squirrels is no big trick at all. I did take it on a doe hunt and had an opportunity but it was just before dark and I had to work the following day so I passed. One of these days I may shoot a deer with it but it will have to be an ideal shot presentation. My favorite bullet is the Speer 75 grain flat point but of course it's discontinued so I need to find something else at some point. I haven't shot it in quite a while, this thread has me kind of wanting to dig it out of the safe.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
tdoyka, I was raised on a farm and back then, most people either just had one gun or a shotgun and a rifle. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the .25-20 WCF held the record for the largest whitetail deer. I have seen the article, but can't remember if it was in Pennsylvania or Tennessee.
i seen it too, but i'm not sure where. i wasn't raised on a farm, but my best friend was. me and him did all the chores on his grandpa's farm. i hated picking up bales and storing them in a barn. but the groundhog population took a severe hit. not too severe, we had to pick up bales next year, so we left a few and next year we'd do it again.

his grandpa had a single shot 22 short and a winchester m94 in 32 special. he quit hunting before i ever met him. but he could shoot the eye out of a flea at 100 yards.(well, maybe i was kidding, but he could shoot!!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts