Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old H&R Topper Model 158/88 whose trigger and hammer probably need to be replaced. Does anyone know of a 'smith that specializes in these frirearms?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
Hi Fred. Good to see you. Brian Johnson, Brian 56, was our guy in H&R. I still have quite a bit of his craftsmanship. I really can't tell you where he is or what he's doing. He's been silent. I suspect H&R.s closing had an enormous emotional impact on him. He is missed.

To answer the original question, Check the FAQs. Handi innards aren't rocket science. Any competent Gun Smith can do it. Finding replacement parts is now the problem. My advise is to buy a frame, SB1 or 2, doesn't matter too much and keep it for parts.

Why do you think the trigger or hammer need to be replaced. What are the symptoms?

Pete

·
Super Moderator
51,142 Posts
What Pete said, you could even do it yourself using Perklo's instructions from the FAQs if it's a later transfer bar gun.

Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
You can buy a complete set of parts without the frame on GunBroker for $27.90 plus shipping. Although he doesn't specify what frame they came from. I bought one such and it was for a shotgun (large firing pin). May I ask what the symptoms are of the Topper? I would replace hammer spring also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts