Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for my Handi for a few years and cannot seem to find the load that makes sub 1” groups at 100 yd. I have found best is to resize with Redding body die and then neck size. I am using 42.1 grains of IMR 4064 and 178gr Hornady ELDX bullets and am getting 3” groups at 100 yards. Any suggestions for bullets or powders or methods to get sub 1” groups? Forearm is floated with bushing for forearm stud. I have also shimmed receiver to tighten fit for barrel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are you looking for a hunting load or a longer range target load? Has this rifle ever shot any better with factory ammunition? I have always had good results in the '06 cartridge finding the right dose of H-4350 with bullets in the 165-200grn range. If you can't get the ELDX bullets to shoot, try a different shaped bullet, like a Hornady SST, Nosler Ballistic Tip, or even a flat based bullet.
Not all barrels are created equal and some will shoot better with different types of bullets. Not all barrels and rifles will even shoot sub minute of angle.
I have an older Ruger #1B 30'06 that would never shoot into an inch, even after floating the forearm, and trying everything else in the book. I finally re barreled the rifle with a custom barrel. It shoots sub minute of angle now. All you can do is experiment, test, and get rid of variables. My last variable was the barrel.
Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried Sierra game kings in 165 and 180. Sierra Game Getters in 165. Accubonds in 165. All shot like crap. The eldx shoots pretty decent. I have tried 4350 but primarily have been loading 4064. I’ll try focusing on 4350 and see what I get. I have tried different billet seating depths also it seems this gun likes bullet jump better than being right on the lands.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Maybe even try shimming the end of the forearm with something to put some upwards pressure on the barrel. Maybe it doesn't like to be floated. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I loaded a bunch of 220gr Sierra round nose pro hunters and they all shot like crap. Like I can’t believe how bad they shot. Over it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear that it's not shooting good for you. I'm sure all the Handi fans on here wouldn't mind seeing it show up in the classifieds section.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did you ever try 125's or 150's with Varget or H4895? They seem to always shoot good in every 308 or 30-06 I ever had. Just have to make archery type shots, no bone breakers on critters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts