Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a topper 158, I need help finding interchangeable barrels for it. I saw a .30-30 can replace the 20g barrel I currently have for it. If other barrels or types will work please let me know

·
Super Moderator
50,913 Posts
Only shotgun and low pressure rifle chamberings are suitable for the cast iron frame, see the FAQs sticky barrel fitting info, second hand barrels may or may not fit, some or a lot of fitting may be required.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
50,913 Posts
If it's one of the later M158 models made 1975 or later any NEF/H&R barrel may fit it, but the early M158 with the sculpted frame I don't know. I had an M158 30-30 barrel that fit fine on a modern SB2 frame, so likewise I'd think the later barrels should fit the later M158 frames, but not having had those combos to try, I'd wait for someone with those combos to respond.

Tim

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you have a sculpted pre-73 158 Topper frame with a snap on forend any sculpted 410/20GA/30-30/22Jet barrel will likely fit. Back in the sculpted frame era H&R still bought their employees micrometers and taught them how to use them apparently. After that era, you pays your money and you takes your chances with what is called tolerance stacking in most factories. Other than lee percussion, oops I mean precision I have never seen tolerance stacking taken to levels H&R/NEF took them to.

I too have a non sculpted (later round frame) 158 Topper 30-30 barrel on an SB2 modern frame, but it took a couple of tries for that to happen.

FWIW, None of my round barrels will fit the sculpted frames and none of my sculpted barrels will fit the round frames. It would be super ugly even if it did work, but in my case it never did anyway. I just had to try and see though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts