Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually one of our favorites and looked forward to every single time we have a nice ham. We've dug into the Easter ham for days after the initial meal that I made in the crockpot (9lb spiral sliced ham). The recipe we enjoy is very simple, but it takes some time to simmer the old ham bone down to completely naked. There's a special ingredient in this recipe that gives the soup a bit of zing, chili powder. Here's the ham bone simmering in the browned onions and peppers which had been deglazed with a bit of whiskey and then I added chicken broth and water. Still to be added are the diced tomatoes, cubed potatoes and kidney beans.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Fancier than what we usually have, but looks good!

The two of us also had a 9lb ham for Easter - and several ham meals since, including the ham bone w/white beans. Finally had to put a chunk in the freezer for later!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Fancier than what we usually have, but looks good!

The two of us also had a 9lb ham for Easter - and several ham meals since, including the ham bone w/white beans. Finally had to put a chunk in the freezer for later!
Sounds great!

There are some things that I enjoy so much, I'm fine with eating it for several days. Ham is one of those, as is corned beef and prime rib... Of all things, Publix had a sale on prime rib two weeks ago and we grabbed a 7 lb one. Darn, I sure enjoyed having that for 4-5 days....LOL!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
great and I’d love a bowl. Problem here is that so far Im the only one that will eat this concoction... Really pulls my short hairs when the family will eat kraft Mac and cheese but won’t eat home made beans/chili/soup etc...

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Just more for you Mule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts