Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was one of the better made guns that Palmetto made in Italy until 6 years ago. Dixie Gun works sells a slightly lighter weight pistol called the Konigsee made by Euroarms.

Palmetto made some heavy barreled guns that had three 75 caliber bores running the length of the barrel. It had a percussion hammer with a striker that slid from side to side to hit the nipples which were all in a row.

Bollers are used in Germany, Austria, and Italy as salute guns to start festivals and celebrate holidays. On Christmas Eve at sunset, the club in Bergtesgaden, perched on the peaks surrounding the valley shoots a salut to announce the coming of the Christ Child. There are 1200 members of that club. They also shoot again on New Years Day to scare away the Hexen (witches)

In the Northern Italian Mountains, they have a tradition of shooting huge barreled blunderbus guns weighing up to 100 pounds. Called Trombini. The trombini de san Bartolo have a face book site and several you tube videos. For the German clunbs, check Youtube for Weinachtsschiessen, Handboller or Schaftboller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDnMmHs8-xE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2AJ2OYpDw

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toot, those big Italian guns are made by the club members. It one YouTube video a stock is shown being cut from a tree stump.

I have exchanged a few emails with the club and asked for pictures of the building process.

If you took notice the triggers are buttons up inside holes in the stocks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
longcaribiner, yes I noticed that they do not have a trigger guard on any of them, I would like to see the video of the stock being cut from a tree. I also noticed that a sort of referee is loading the powder and issues them a percussion cap, they only tamp the load with news print.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've seen the boeller's on you tube before but had no knowledge of the Italian cannons for want of a better term. They have shooting those cannons down to a science. Recoil spins the shooter and he shoulders it while still going in a circle. Thanks for sharing the videos very interesting. Frank

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PSLimo. Pfnuer does ship to the states, as does Boller Kaiser. Don't know about Schillinger. There is a Boller club out in Wisconsin or Minn, that uses imported Boller. I believe theirs were made by Stangassinger.

I know that some US citizens have privately purchased muzzle loaders from Europe and the process can seem overwhelming. But the description of the process that I have seen indicates that it is not that difficult. The main problem is that many in Europe will not consider shipping internationally. In each country, the regulations change. For instance for an Indian maker to export a firearm, they need an export permit and must include a letter from the receiving country that the importation there is authorized. So if the bureaucracy will not issue such a letter in the destination country, India will not give an export permit. Other countries have stupid rules like New Jersey, where shipment must be from a licensed dealer to a licensed dealer, even for muzzle loaders.

An acquaintance in Germany has offered to ship muzzle loaders from there for me, if the German seller will not. I have come close to taking him up on his offer. I have seen some deals on their e-GUN on line auction. I have purchased items off the German e-bay auction with no problem except extra shipping costs. Got a nice badger hair sterling silver Gamsbart for a total of $25.00 with shipping. (a gamsbart is a funnel shaped hat pin that holds game feathers or fur to signify a hunting trophy. )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.