Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some trading and picked up a new to me handi 270 with 3x9 pro hunter scope. shoots great. cant wait to start handloading for it. Any one got any pet loads they can throw my way? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I like the classic loading... H4831 an a 130 BTSP Sierra... Worked for to many yeas to start doubting it now. ;D ;) ;)

CW

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
Every rifle, Handi's too, have their own special harmonics. Each will like something specific to that rifle. Asking for our "favorites" just gets you in the neighborhood for a specific powder and bullet combination that we use.

Tell us which bullets and powders you have and like to use. We will then tailor our recommendations to suit. Otherwise, you are starting from scratch with our favorite powder and bullet(s) and in that instance, your rifle may or may not likely shoot to suit. You may burn a lot of powder and bullets finding that sweet spot, and there will be more than one for many combinations.

My Win. Model 70 Classic Featherweight is partial to 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips over either 49.8 or 50.0 grains of IMR 4831 for targets and Nosler 150 grain Partitions for hunting. Partitions impart a significant amount of energy passing through without tearing up the meat on either front or rear side of the shot. I get more DRT impacts on game with Partitions. Ballistic Tips are better for target shooting as they are frangible and disintegrate passing through game, leaving an exit side mess in general.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have 2 270s and neither one is particular about ammo. I've loaded several different combinations and most have worked very well, but I think my favorite is the Sierra 140gr HPBT & 55gr IMR7828. Works very well in both my guns.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I just got through with some load workup for two .270s. The Mod 700 Mountain Rifle just didn't like anything better than 2.5", a fault of that little skinny barrel I'm sure. In my heavier Belgium BAR it likes a couple of factory loads very well, the old Winchester 140 Failsafe ( long gone of course!) and the Federal Premium 110 TTSX. In handloads, I finished two yesterday in fact. 59.5gr R26 and the 150 Ballistic Tip and 60gr H4831SC and the 130 partition. I'm going to try Landowners IMR 4831 load next ( thanks Pard!) and see what I get. I would think your Handi has a heavy enough barrel to shoot well, I bought a Handi for a young man when they came out, in 30-06, and while its trigger was not the best, it still shot with varmint accuracy! Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
RevJim said:
I just got through with some load workup for two .270s. The Mod 700 Mountain Rifle just didn't like anything better than 2.5", a fault of that little skinny barrel I'm sure. In my heavier Belgium BAR it likes a couple of factory loads very well, the old Winchester 140 Failsafe ( long gone of course!) and the Federal Premium 110 TTSX. In handloads, I finished two yesterday in fact. 59.5gr R26 and the 150 Ballistic Tip and 60gr H4831SC and the 130 partition. I'm going to try Landowners IMR 4831 load next ( thanks Pard!) and see what I get. I would think your Handi has a heavy enough barrel to shoot well, I bought a Handi for a young man when they came out, in 30-06, and while its trigger was not the best, it still shot with varmint accuracy! Good luck to you.

The 270 tends to like slower powders than you might first assume... just look at most of the powder suggestions...

4831 is a good one dont forget there are a couple 4831 variants to try as well as newer sc...

CW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts