Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who carry a handgun when wearing a full size pack, how do you carry it? I'm thinking about trying to attach a cross draw holster to the hip belt...I'm not sure how to attach it or even if this is the best place for it. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Like John Wayne

I usually carry a little low and slung back like the Duke on the right hip. But if I have the pack or rifle ( I shoot left handed for rifle and right for pistol) I carry it more forward and cross draw from the left hip almost above my front pocket as I always carry the rifle in the right hand.

Now if this hasn't got you messed up nothing will!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I understand...

I think I get what you're saying...Just wondering if a hip belt from a pack would make carrying on your hips uncomfortable? Does your holster ride rather low?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
As soon as...

bear season opens and I have my pack on again I might remember. Bears season is just around the corner. But if I remember correctly the hip belt was higher than the holster and I didn't have a problem. It is possible to holster the pistol on the pack itself if you have a frame. I have a clip on the top of mine that my rifle sling goes into to secure the rifle and a strap on the side to clamp around the pistol grip of the rifle stock.

·
Registered
273 Posts
handgun carry with a pack

Seems like Kifaru makes a holster that connects across the 2 shoulder straps.Perhaps that's worth a look.Years ago I had Lawrence put some D rings on a spring clip shoulder holster,to hang it on a packframe.You might be able to modify an existing spring clip shoulder holster.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I plan on experimenting with a home hade holster. A while back someone wrote an article on making a Tanker style chest holster in the Backwoodsman magazine. I have the leather and pattern cut. I just need to sew it together when I get some "free time." I think that this method of carry will be very efficient when encumbered with a pack.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I like to carry mine on the pack belt in cross draw to keep the weight off my hips.Lp.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Woodchuck.
My holster has a belt loop.I can use a web belt or just about any belt under 3- 1/2" wide.Lp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was thinking of attaching a fanny pack to the front of the hipbelt to completely conceal the handgun. There are many BP'ers out there that are very much anti-gun and are very uncomfortable around guns. I would rather they just didn't know I was carrying and not create a scene. I know there are concealments issues I'd have to address.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Handgun with pack

I just got a Uncle Mikes holster for my 6" Raging Bull. The holster rides low enough that it dosen't get in the way of my full size Pack. I also found that I could put holster onto lower pack straps that go around upper waist/stomach area to reduce extra weight on my belt, but it makes unholstering the gun a little slower.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Litefoot
You might have to look for that 1%Lawer when that DNR.man comes :roll:
Heck just go were the anti gunners dont treck :) Lp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts