Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally came across and second-hand 45/70. I think it's got an SB2 [CORRECTED] frame and the ugly wood, but is in very good condition--no nicks, scrapes or scratches-- and the bore is shiny--seems only a couple years old. Appears to have been used very little. open sights, hard-rubber recoil pad--no scope mount or offset hammer spur.

The prices of NEF rifles have been bouncing around so much, I have no idea what a fair price is. I can get this one out the door for $250. (If I can scrape together the cash, that is.) ???

I've got a 30-30 Handy and always wanted a 45/70 in a single shot for Trap-door loads.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
Did the 45-70 come with sb1 frames? Don't think they did, but I've been wrong before (ask my wife). Maybe someone put it on a sb1 frame. Someone will be along shortly with more knowledge on the matter.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Did you pull the stock off and see what the end of the receiver looks like? There are 4 different receivers. The old style cast iron that could handle pressures to 43,000 psi. The SB-1 for pistol cartridges and shotgun shells (ex the 10ga) The SB-2 for rifle cartridges and the 10ga, and the rimfire receiver.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's an SB2 frame (and misspoke in the first post). It's such a headscratcher to figure out which is which without pulling the buttstock, which I don't think these folks are going to allow. It looks a couple years old, did they still put the 45/70 on SB1 frames?

I'll get the SN ASAP, but that seems not to be totally definitive either. Does NEF still answer calls on the Handis? I'll study the info on this site closely this evening.

I want a SB2 frame, but I'd likely not shoot anything hotter than Marlin loads. I'd like to be able to get some other rifle barrels if they pop up.
The attached photo is the exact rifle down to the buttstock--unless someone swapped receivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I think $250 ain't a bad price, but $225 would be better, try to bargain with him.

Even if it's an sb1 just buy the thing!

If the receiver is blued and not case- colored (the kinda wavy blue-green-red colors) it is probably a SB2. If it is parkerized, could be either/or but I very doubt that.

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone.

It's a blued receiver. (I've got a Topper in 30-30/20ga with the beautiful case-hardened frame.)

I'll take a second look this weekend.

I'd be mostly loading it for paper and jackrabbits, so it doesn't really matter. (Though we get some big jacks around here.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
$250.00 is a decent price. I love mine and I have several. My 45-70 is hands down my favorite. I don't know if you reload but if you do and it is newer sb2 you can really load up some nice light loads that won't hurt the shoulder The whole way up to some pretty stout loads for hunting bear and so on. I like reloaded 7 and IMR 4198 for my handi. Well I hope you get it and have fun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts