Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a h&r handi .500 can be reamed out to 50.bmg thinking what fun it can be for long distance hmmmm!!! the possibilities wow bigger cal power for those impossible shots that you thought could never be done with other loads please give me your thoughts on this

·
Premium Member
9,386 Posts
I agree on the "NO!!!", but if you could, I would want one!!!....<><....:)

·
Super Moderator
51,488 Posts
Definitely NOT, even if the action would come close to handling it, which is doesn't, the bore is wrong, the 50BMG uses .510" bullets, the 500S&W uses .500"-.501".

Tim

·
Banned
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah damm, no fun guy's but thaks for the safety aspects, I knew if I asked here I would get expert advise, as does everybody on this site knows there sh*^ :eek: ah ha finally found something a handi could not handle now dont get me wrong it's my favorite rifle not knocking on them, just trying to make a really long distance shooter so help me please thanks guy's

·
Registered
383 Posts
Already been throught that ;D
I thought of it a while back.

In a way, you can. Not the BMG as is, but you can chamber the SB2 Ultra Slug Gun to 12 FH, which is the 50 BMG case with the case head threaded and a 12 Ga size rim screwed on, then blown out straight.

While this does give a fair amount of rear thrust, chamber pressures are much lower because of the massive size and slow rifle powder used.

Even in the 3" chamber, I've put some hairy loads in it.

I have started to flex one of my frames though.

Lately, Ed has made up some loads using the 55cal belted
Boys case. That' a belted 50BMG case and the devil to find now. I guess RMC will make them up in you wanted.

So the answer is NO BMG...but yes to sort of.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
a machinist at work tells me to only do the weakest of loads through a brand-new handi in 45-70, yet people do stuff like what is on those pictures!!! I guess almost no one can appreciate a simple utilitarian gun.. unless it's "wild west" and then it's okay if it's a piece of crap as long as it's case colored

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
A 50 BMG in a Handi?????/ yes you could shoot it........once.........make sure your life insurance policy is up to date....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Somewhere I read about a 50bmg short which was a 50 bmg that was about half
the normal length and much less powerful. Not much point in it as it would
probably be close to the SW-500 power anyway.
But it did use the pointed bullets ... dont remember if they were also lighter
and shorter too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
.510 Whisper

A 700gr at 1500 out of my 500 S&W Handi is about all the fun I want to have with a handi.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Like DK17 said, max out the 500 S&W then decide if you wan't to do a 50 BMG in that platform. Scarey!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.