Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems Handi's are generally considered low-end "budget rifles," and I tend to use lower-end scopes.

Recently, at a large gun show, I saw a number of old "El Paso, TX" Weaver scopes selling for well under $100. An eBay search revealed similar results.

So my question is, are these old Weavers worth it? Or are they optically too outdated and the current "low-end" scopes better?

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
the new ones (the fixed "K"s) are alright.
i have a newer K4 on the .444 after it ate a
couple of others and didn't spit them out.
i have another newer one on my pop's old
1950 marlin. does just fine. the objectives
are larger than the old ones, but you can't have it all.
the old steel ones are great if you can find
one that isn't nostalgia priced.
if i didn't have those, i would have leupolds
on them. life's too short to mess with stuff
that doesn't work

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
My eyes nor my budget is really that great since I retired, and my shooting is done close to home it is rarely long range. I have had good luck with the Simmons and Bushnell shotgun scopes on the larger bores, the Pro-Diamond 4X fixed has worked well for me , as has the 1.5 X 4.5 Bushnell. I love my little rifles, but a high end scope on a 30/30 handi just kind of looks out of place. I have seen lots of scopes lately that run more than I paid for my car.
I shoot mostly cast bullets and under 150 yards, if I was like Sourdough in Alaska and was shooting 600 yards at a wolf it would be different, but in woods country with a 444 the shotgun scopes have done really well.

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
I like the weaver classics. The V7, V3, and the 4x shotgun scope. Ocular end is small and trim so it fits low over the hammer without interference. They are fairly reasonable priced and great optics.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
The "ElPaso" steel case Weaver Scopes are really good scopes.They are well built and can take a lot of abuse.There are still a lot of the being carried in ranch trucks mounted on "work rifles" .I personally saw an older cowboy drop a running coyote with 1 shot from his very worn (no blue left on it ) 700 Remington equipped with a K6 Weaver.I asked how he liked the scope because i had its twin, he responded to the fact it was ok as he had not had to resight it since he put it on the rifle over 30 years ago.
I gave mine to my bro-in -law some years back. It is mounted on a custom 270 Win 98 Mauser. It just keeps on killing whatever it is pointed at .I do not know if the scope caps will even come off !It has not been resighted in 25 years that I know of .............
I still have and use several 4X weavers on my Handi's even have a 1X5 variable on my mini 14 that is a very good scope.
Happy Trails
George

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
My dad had one on a custom 222 magnum that he never had to re-sight in throughout my childhood. I saw that gun fall all the time... Once even off the truck hood and it was always dead-on. If I could
Find a bunch of em not overpriced that's all I would use. If you want something new I'd go with a Walmart Nikon.... They did have 3x9 buck masters with the bdc reticle for $139.

John

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I cant say that I agree with your assessment... most all my handis wear Leupolds...

CW

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
All that shows is a substantial cash flow :eek: ::) :p , I have a Leupold on my "best" rifle, but that is the only one. The others are not as prestigious but have functioned completely adequately. Several of the older scopes have better glass and are sturdier than the new, but may be heavier or bulkier. I could live with that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Me too. My brand new 7-08 bolt gun gets the leupold, everything else wears a Bushnell banner. Wish I had the income to swim in Leupolds but alas.

As for handis, I have been searching for an affordable and COMPACT scope to replace the 12 gauge barrel in my stealth gun's violin case. Sadly, nobody seems to make really small scopes for anything but air guns. :(

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
I have only ever bought a couple new. So that "too costly" is nothing but a excuse!! Quality in a optic is NEVER regretted. EVER!

The vari X and now VXI & II can be found for under 200 some times 150!!. Your banners are more than half that. Don't ever skimp on glass!! It's your site man!!

I'm not rich in cash, only in my friends and family, but I will say I have no children. So there is that. :).

CW

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
As for Skiddy- look for a Tasco Bantam. They are cheap, durable- and I do not remember seeing anything smaller- check them out.

As for CW- I kid you :p but statements like that???.... I also "never regretted quality" in anything-- but I looked a the Lincoln Navigator at the year end sale and drove away in my 1995 Ford Ranger. I bought the one Leupold I have new- in 1989. I will say that I did recently buy a pair of Leupold "Yosemite" binoculars and was really pleasantly surprised.

The "no kids" factor is a serious matter however, and I understand. I raised 3 of my own and a few "rentals" as I called them, friends of my kids that due to factors beyond my control stated with us from a few months to off and on for 40 years. Being parent is the ONE thing you can never "un be". I still have heartburn from my children and they range from 33 to 50. I have 5 grand kids and 2 greats---so far. They are never cheap. I wonder often about the wisdom of reproducing--- but a half century too late ::)

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.