Graybeard Outdoors banner

handi vs. ultra

2K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  870 expressmag 
#1 ·
i am new to all this h and r stuff...but my interest grows more and more every day....i bought the heavy barrel ultra in .223 and have since sent it back to get the heavy barrel .308 mounted to it as well....but the more i read i see that not as many people have ultras as they have handi's! is it because of the vast number of barrels and calibers that can be fitted to the handi over the ultra..which brings me to my next question..why aren't there very many for the ultra?? and i can't see any difference between the handi's and the ultras besides the wood in the stock

#2 ·
The handi and ultra barrels are interchangable. The difference in the 2 models is cosmetic. The ultras wear nicer stocks and appear to have a slightly more polished finish. A new model handi or ultra can be fitted with any of H&R's centerfire rifle barrels, huntsman ML barrels, and all their shotgun barrels except 10ga or 12ga ultra slug.

#4 ·
so if i sent my action back to h and r would they fit a handi caliber to my ultra or wouldn;t they? because under ultra the only choices i have are .243, .223, .308, .25-06, and .450 marlin.......i would so much like to have a 45-70 gov't fitted to it but not sure if the factory would do it because of it being an ultra and not a handi

#6 ·
870 expressmag said:
so if i sent my action back to h and r would they fit a handi caliber to my ultra or wouldn;t they? because under ultra the only choices i have are .243, .223, .308, .25-06, and .450 marlin.......i would so much like to have a 45-70 gov't fitted to it but not sure if the factory would do it because of it being an ultra and not a handi
All of the asterisked marked barrels can only be fitted to frames made after 1997 or '98, the cutoff is right there somewhere, the only way to find out for sure is to call or email them, give them your frame serial number and ask if a certain barrel can be fitted to your frame. The list of production years for the serial number alpha prefixes is in the FAQ.

http://hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm
*For this barrel, please call Customer Service at (978) 630-8220 to see if it can be fitted to your receiver.
Tim

(978) 630-8220

hr1871@hr1871.com

#8 ·
870 expressmag said:
my serial number starts with HU which tells me it's a 2004 so i should have no problem fitting any handi or ultra's to it correct?
i am seeing the 30-06 ultracomp on the barrel accesory page..whats the advantage of the ultra comp and are they still available?
Don't you mean you're NOT seeing the Ultracomp barrel on the acc barrel page?? The Ultracomp barrel is a compensated or ported barrel, they had some in stock earlier in .270 and .30-06, they may or may not have any left, they're from a run a few years ago...the porting reduces muzzle jump and recoil....it also is quite loud to those standing to the side of the muzzle, but not much difference, if any, for the shooter. ....Yes, your frame can be fitted with an asterisked barrel.

http://hr1871.com/barrelAcc/index.htm

Tim

#11 ·
The UltraComp barrels are absolutely great. If you ever wanted a large caliber rifle (270 or 30-06) with a muzzle break these are awesome. Very accurate and have hardly any kick. Though as quick said, man are they load :shock: .
I ordered mine about 2 months ago. They still had them then. Call and see. You won't regret buying one of these. I am glad I did.

#13 ·
I'd send em an email today asking if they have any left, the part number, price and provide your serial number so they know you have a new frame. They'll respond as soon as they come back to work..... next monday, I think!!

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.