Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;D

Hey guys! I was out in the wilderness Saturday morning and had a good hunt. Snuck up on a nice muley and tossed some copper. One shot through the lungs, he hunched up, took a step and layed down, a few seconds later his head dropped, done deal.

The gun: 35 Whelen Handi Rifle
The load: 225 grain Barnes TSX at 2800 fps
The distance: 275 yards.

and the deer:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Concrats Matt.
Nice deer! You can't beat the TSX bullets, they do the job. Fred

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Nice buck, Matt!!! ;) Congrats and good shooting!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Nice buck,and some good shooting with the handi too!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Great deer, and great shot. Would you be willing to give load data..or a source you used. It's what I'd like to load in my H&R Whelen.
Mark

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GatCat said:
Great deer, and great shot. Would you be willing to give load data..or a source you used. It's what I'd like to load in my H&R Whelen.
Mark
if you do a search on here it should show up, or Tim might put up a link ;). Both Tim and I did some load development here's what I use, just be sure to use common sense and do some development on your own.

225 grain Barnes TSX
61.5 grains of Alliant Reloader 15
seated .005 off the lands

super accurate in my gun

the weight? I have no idea but he was big. I was 3-4 miles in and wasn't about to pack out bones (except antlers!)so he was boned out in the field. The pack was super heavy though! Pretty sore today....

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
How did the bullet do in the deer, expansion, all the way through? At that range I would like to know how it worked? I have a .35 Whelen now, but haven't killed anything with it yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bullet was not recovered, shot through him with a nice golfball size exit hole. At that range it still has about 2500 fp of energy which is still plenty, even for an elk.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice buck. I use the 225 TSX in my 350 Rem mag. (700 Classic) but I only get 2625 out of mine :mad: but I can hold a 1.625 200 yard group!) I have yet to use them on game, but am glad to hear that they work nice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Congratulations, Matt! You are a fine sportsman -- even at that distance, you made a clean one-shot kill. I hope you are mentoring a younger hunter. Some hunters laugh at our use of single-shot rifles, and some non-hunters give us that tired old "cruelty" lecture. You are a great example to show to either group. Thanks for posting the photo!

·
Registered
335 Posts
That is awesome man. I someday want to come out and try for a muley.

Congrats!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts