Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7mm-08 Handi shot it's first deer today.
She was just a 95lb doe but tastes great.

This really makes me feel better about my 7mm-08.

One shot (duh) at about 70yd. Only made it 10yds.
There was a nice entrance and exit with a plane old 140g remington core lokt.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Re: Handis first kill.

Can't complain about that, congrats!! ;)

·
Registered
3,238 Posts

Nice little doe, and it should prove to be some good eats. Thanks for sharing the pic

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts

Partsman.
Concrats on your first deer with the 7mm-08 Handi. Was this a hand load I sugested? You have one of the finest deer rifles ever. I am going out tomorow and use my 7x57 which is about the same as a 7mm-08. For really H.D service try the 175gr Semi pointed Rem bullet.They are gentle with a a lot of authority. I had planned on using this rifle before but was not to happy with the scope,

Yesterday I bought a new Burris Full Field II 3-9 with the ballistic plex they were on sale here for $235. I know in the US you can buy them for less but
by the time I ship them here insurance and shipping. About the same price.
So now the 7x57 sports a scope I like very much.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts

Congrats partsman! i got a laugh outa the "one shot (duh)" and it realy didnt occur to me before but now that i look at it, I havent found or heard of a person on this site using the handi and having to use a second shot. I think that that is special in itself. We are truely our own breed! Congrats on that doe buddy! May she feed you and your family through the season!
Hank.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Partsman, Congrats on the doe!
I've heard some very good things about the 7-08, there's some guys around here that love em.
None are handis though, they just like the caliber for deer.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts

Congrats on a Fine deer Gotta love these handis
This site is just like deer camp. A buddy gets a deer ,we all get to see it, hear the story, but dont gotta help drag it in. :D Jay

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts

Nice fat doe there Partsman!

I'm still waiting for my chance at a deer with my 7MM-08.

I've taken 4 hogs already and a shot right behind the ear drops them like a rock, but I'm waiting to shoot a deer with it.

I've been passing up some smaller bucks and being choosy waiting for the right one.

We've got a long season down here in Texas, and I don't want to end my season too early since I'm only allowed one buck on the ranch I hunt on.

Does I can take more than one, but they have been skittish and haven't given me an opportunity yet, so we'll see what happens during the holidays!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks guys.
We have a lot of doe around here. Plus they have all been having twins lately.
The state took a buck away and added a doe for my part of the state.
I had been watching the biggest 8 point I have ever seen walk the other side of the fence.
Watched him 3/4 mile away bed down and two doe came up to my blind so i took the bigger one.

Sorry Mac no hand loads through this one yet.
My case length gage is BO from the gun shop.:(

·
Registered
6,258 Posts

Partsman nice doe. Some potatoes carrots and onions and I bet it will be great. Got my mouth watering. Dale

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

DALESCARPENTRY said:
Partsman nice doe. Some potatoes carrots and onions and I bet it will be great. Got my mouth watering. Dale
Already been done.
I'm going to have too shoot another just to get some in the freezer.
I gave most to family and stewed the rest last night.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts

Congrats Partsman,the ol handi did its job.Now go get another one! I got a nice 8 point this morning,the first day of gun season.Now got to wait till tomorrow to go again,I can shoot another buck but I'm going to take a doe as we have too many.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Part II

The little 7mm-08 DROPPED a very nice 8 point yesterday morning.
I have pics but need to re-size tonight. My wife's camera makes them huge.
Going to do a European mount on this one.

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Re: Handis first kill. (Part II added)

Congrats again!! ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Re: Handis first kill. (Part II added)

Im not gona lie, im getting kinda giddy, getting to see all these pics with yalls handikills this year! LOL! I am excited to get out there and get a kill with one of my handies this year.
Congrats to you partsman! Now you will have a freezer full also! Thats some good eating right there. I tell you what!
Hank.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts