Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a nice knife I custom ordered from Mike Schirmer in Montana. Well...idiot that I am I put in in the dishwasher one too many times and the antler/handle is cracking and pulled away from the core/metal.

Any knifemakers out here able to fit a new handle to it? I'd either go for antler from the maker or ivory that I'd supply myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this a full tang, fixed blade with scales? Have pins pulled loose or ????Will the original mfr repair it for you? I do some knife making and have repaired some similar cases.
I have some ivory, but have not used it yet. One of the knives in my next batch is for me and I will be putting ivory on it. I am told you just have to go slow with ivory and will find out on my own knife first.
All you should use to clean a good knife is some hot water and a clean dry rag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Matt----------There are a lot of knifemakers out there and most are qualified to do repairs such as yours. I suggest you get on the horn and talk to your candidates for this work, then go with the one you like best----if the price is acceptable. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Matt; Since you asked for help, would you mind telling us what you came up with as a solution?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Matt in AK said:
I've got a nice knife I custom ordered from Mike Schirmer in Montana. Well...idiot that I am I put in in the dishwasher one too many times and the antler/handle is cracking and pulled away from the core/metal.
This is a joke.... right? Please tell me it is? ...... please?

Best wishes,
Bawko

·
Registered
33 Posts
Atomic Chicken----I had the same thought at first on Aug 12, but since I have built a couple hundred knives and repaired a couple dozen, I thought I would throw out an offer to help. Today I agree with your feelings, and that this probably should never have started and I should have steered clear. Now my curiosity is stirred as to whether or not we will ever hear from the knife washer again. I have chuckled to myself on this several times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts