Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley is chattering about moving their manufacturing OUTSIDE the USA. If they do, will you still buy Harleys? Let Harley know how you feel about it...one way or the other.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so I am not commenting..

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
For ME,

IF they want to build them over seas and sell them over there, I really don't have a problem with that.

IF they want to move there to sell them HERE, that I DO have a problem with.

DM

·
Registered
674 Posts
IF they want to build them over seas and sell them over there, I really don't have a problem with that.

IF they want to move there to sell them HERE, that I DO have a problem with.
DM

My thoughts also.

Jim

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers guys...just wondered about your thoughts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Howdy ironglow.
I know this is an older topic but I wanted to pipe up.
It is not just a case of semantics but manufactured and assembled are not the same.

I make a living (partially) from motorcycle repair and restoration. And have owned bikes from BSA to Yamaha including numerous Harleys from the late 1930's to mid 1980's (Sportster's and Big Twins).
Near as I can tell the last time Harley manufactured all of their bikes was in the 1960's. From the 70's on you will find parts manufactured in Australia, Italy, China and Japan just to name a few of the countries that manufactures parts for the Motor Company.

Does it matter? Only to the owners I suppose.
I like my bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
000_0012.JPG

000_0013.JPG

My last HD. 1980 80", four speed in a Paughco rigid.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Gen1:26, are you talking about frames, forks, tanks, motors and tranny's made in other countries. Or is it more just the electronics and smaller items ?

Jim

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
From Business Insider. com I think.
Harleys sold in the US are indeed assembled in one of four plants located in Wisconsin, Missouri and Pennsylvania. But the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China.Jul 5, 2018
I also think the brakes are now either Brembo or Nissan. Don't hold me to that.
GuzziJohn

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Now please let me add that if you own a Harley and like it then keep riding it.
No worries Gen1:26, I do own a 2004 Road King but I am not offended by your post. I doubt you can find any car, truck or bike that says they are made in the U.S.A. that doesn't have foreign parts in it. It is just the way of the world these days. Kind of makes you wonder who has who over a barrel in the current trade war doesn't it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
from what I've observed over a number of years, most of Harleys income is from it's accessories and clothing line.

I'm amazed it has survived so long.

I had only one Harley (and only one ORIGINAL Indian, a 1947 Scout) during my motorcycle riding years (1959-2000) a K model. I ended up as a BMW enthusiast. and it seems I see more BMW's than any other marque now days...even most LE agencies ride BMW's (in the areas I frequent anyway)

incidentally, I had a friend who had two Vincents that he let me ride...:tango_face_grin::tango_face_devil:

Harley has long relied on foreign sources for parts...ceriani of Italy supplied their front forks at one time as I recall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No worries Gen1:26, I do own a 2004 Road King but I am not offended by your post. I doubt you can find any car, truck or bike that says they are made in the U.S.A. that doesn't have foreign parts in it. It is just the way of the world these days. Kind of makes you wonder who has who over a barrel in the current trade war doesn't it.

Jim
Thanks friend!
So many folks who's bikes I've worked on (and even currently working on) get down right testy when foreign parts on their bikes conversation get started.
I like the bikes but not the company so much.

It's all about making money. The product of a company is just the way to make it.
I do hate false advertising though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
from what I've observed over a number of years, most of Harleys income is from it's accessories and clothing line.

I'm amazed it has survived so long.

I had only one Harley (and only one ORIGINAL Indian, a 1947 Scout) during my motorcycle riding years (1959-2000) a K model. I ended up as a BMW enthusiast. and it seems I see more BMW's than any other marque now days...even most LE agencies ride BMW's (in the areas I frequent anyway)

incidentally, I had a friend who had two Vincents that he let me ride...:tango_face_grin::tango_face_devil:

Harley has long relied on foreign sources for parts...ceriani of Italy supplied their front forks at one time as I recall.
A younger brother of mine had a K model too.
Vincents, well, not yet anyaway ;)

No BMW's yet either.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Jim

You have a point, with the domestic content" labeling now days, we find that some of the former "imported" brands of automobiles, have the highest percentage of domestic content !

So far as the trade war goes, we can best them in the long run. Parts now being manufactured in China, could be sourced from India, Taiwan, Mexico etc.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It's been a long time since I worked in a Harley shop but as I remember, they had a lot of import parts including: Forks and shocks, carburetors, switches and most electrical system parts, pistons and on some models the cast wheels were imported. H-D is just barely an American bike as it is...

I remember pointing this to a H-D rider that was giving me a hard time about my Yamaha. Hes response was "ain't now slant eye parts on my bike." I told him to guess again. My Yamaha 1100 has around 50k miles on it and will easily blow away 99% of Harleys. I have nothing against Harleys and I think some of them are really nice riding bikes but I've never had that kind of money to blow on a bike and I don't want to have to live in fear of it being stolen.

Tony

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was talking to a young man now living in West Virginia, who was up here visiting his grandpa. Now Don works in sales for a WV dealer in sporting goods,

who happens to sell Indian bikes.

He says quite a few guys come in with their Harleys, try the Indians out and leave with one (no, not Indian ladies, smart alec)....ignoring their own

Harley Tattoos and jackets.

I don't suppose that is as common an event as he implied..

·
22,263 Posts
last one I had was a soft tail classic and I was told that the forks and wheels were made oversees. I doubt theres a vehicle with wheels made today that doesn't have something not made in the US on it. Now that's a bit different then moving the production factory and headquarters to a different country. I really don't have an answer because I have no intention of buying another one anyway. Your probably asking in the wrong place anyway because on here what you will get is opinions from guys who never bought one anyway and have no intention. My GUESS would be it would hurt business. Would it kill it? Probably not. With all the electric bike crap there coming out with it looks to me like the company is looking to swing in another direction anyway and cater to a different buyer. Heck 75 percent of there buyers today are just yuppies that want wear leathers and pretend to be a bad ass and join the nerdy wave club anyway. Sad for the hard core Harley guys but there just not big enough numbers anymore to sway the management. Id bet the wanabe bikers that buy the 75 percent will continue to.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
From dstegjas
Kind of makes you wonder who has who over a barrel in the current trade war doesn't it.
Bingo! Oh I forgot, "Trade wars are easy to win." This winning is exhausting me.
GuzziJohn

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
From dstegjas

Bingo! Oh I forgot, "Trade wars are easy to win." This winning is exhausting me.
GuzziJohn
Negotiations take time..especially negotiations which should have been done by the last 3 administrations..

..But when the negotiations are completed, the payoff for the United States, will be BIG !!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts