Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Victimless crime? It doesn't look like it, now that a good share of our problems have been brought on by the people themselves, by not holding to the values which their parents were smart enough to instill in them. It would seem that something as simple as... "being addicted is not good", would not be difficult to understand !

https://www.yahoo.com/health/marijuana-use-disorders-doubled-since-2001-191718635.html

http://townhall.com/columnists/john...sons-marijuana-should-remain-illegal-n1782086

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
MJ has its place in medicine, especially for children's seizures where the bad stuff is removed from the oil.
but, the regular stuff is in the same class as alcohol, they kill innocent people..

It's only the users that say it's safe to smoke and drive, like drinkers who say it's okay to drink and drive. ::)

·
Super Moderator
11,143 Posts
BUGEYE said:
It's only the users that say it's safe to smoke and drive, like drinkers who say it's okay to drink and drive. ::)
Golfers around the Hospitality Cart already know that it is safe to smoke the drive and have a drink...I mean, drive a drunk that smokes; er, maybe smoke a drink before you drive? What the ****...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
L-O, you touched on something I thought about 30+ years ago. I never played golf, but know quite a few that do. How many golf course's could survive if they banned booze from the grounds, like so many gun clubs do? gypsyman

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
BUGEYE said:
MJ has its place in medicine, especially for children's seizures where the bad stuff is removed from the oil.
but, the regular stuff is in the same class as alcohol, they kill innocent people..

I was a user of both in my wild and crazy younger days. Neither is good to use before driving but hands down alcohol is way more dangerous to drive on than weed. I'm lucky and grateful to be alive after all the drunk driving I did, I'm ashamed that I did because I could have taken somebody's life. Only by the grace of God am I and others that I shared the road with still here. I'm very much in favor of strengthening laws against driving impaired regardless of the drug doing the impairing. Our impaired driving laws are way too weak in my opinion given the amount of driving deaths, particularly drunk driving deaths we have in the US each year. That being said I think keeping marijuana illegal at the federal level is both unconstitutional (10th Amendment) and ineffective. It's a waste of taxpayer's money given the fact that the war on drugs has not effected any change in the amount of marijuana users in the last 40 years.

On top of that, if you live in a state that doesn't have medical marijuana and you need it you are screwed. Here's a story from my local news today on this very subject. I live in NH which passed medical marijuana 3 years ago but hasn't implemented it. We have a statist, drug prohibitionist, Democrat governor who is bought and paid for by the Big Pharmaceutical industry so she has dragged her feet on the implementation of medical MJ as a gift to her campaign donors. This elderly couple got arrested for growing weed. They are good, upstanding members of the community with no criminal records. The husband has a chronic pain condition so they were growing their own weed to treat him. His condition would qualify him for medical MJ in a state that has it but because our state doesn't yet this couple will probably do jail time because the big, tough guy "drug warriors" charged them with intent to distribute because the plants weighed 7 pounds. Here's the story, decide for yourself if you think it's fair that this couple goes to jail in the name of "keeping us safe" - http://www.wmur.com/news/seven-pounds-of-marijuana-found-in-atkinson-home/35975262

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your questions concerning alcohol & Mj were handled in the first and second paragraph of link #2 which I posted in the OP. http://townhall.com/columnists/john...sons-marijuana-should-remain-illegal-n1782086
That author said both were detrimental, along with tobacco (true). But tobacco & alcohol are already legal, so why make more problems? He said to do that would be to say "you already have a bad back and a bad shoulder..so why not cap it off by breaking your kneecap".. His analysis seems like pure logic to me!
Much as you tried booze & pot when you were young, I have never tried or used either..even when young; and I surely don't miss either of them, any more than any of us...misses eating horse manure.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A lot of stuff illegal in the past will become legal to expand the tax system and collect it hand over fist. It's the only reason that it's happening.

The gummint tried a ban on alcohol 80 years ago, didn't work. Same with gambling, MJ and other stuff.

They couldn't tax morality so now they can tax immorality. Better income.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
ironglow said:
Your questions concerning alcohol & Mj were handled in the first and second paragraph of link #2 which I posted in the OP. http://townhall.com/columnists/john...sons-marijuana-should-remain-illegal-n1782086
That author said both were detrimental, along with tobacco (true). But tobacco & alcohol are already legal, so why make more problems? He said to do that would be to say "you already have a bad back and a bad shoulder..so why not cap it off by breaking your kneecap".. His analysis seems like pure logic to me!
Much as you tried booze & pot when you were young, I have never tried or used either..even when young; and I surely don't miss either of them, any more than any of us...misses eating horse manure.
Pure logic to me is the realization that drugs are only moral when the government gets to be the dealer. That's why tobacco and alcohol are legal and MJ isn't. It has nothing to do with what is more dangerous.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
Land_Owner said:
BUGEYE said:
Golfers around the Hospitality Cart already know that it is safe to smoke the drive and have a drink...I mean, drive a drunk that smokes; er, maybe smoke a drink before you drive? What the ****...
;D ;D LOL

·
Registered
19,177 Posts
MJ has been proven to stop seizures and control pain.
I take pain meds now, but MJ in a capsule would probably be as effective without the addiction problems.

Ga is about to legalize it for certain problems, so it'll be a while before I know what problems.

·
Banned
24,569 Posts
BUGEYE said:

Pot makes people a cotton head, it's why my daughter divorced her husband. It's all he cared about and one impounded car, and two others totaled in one year? Yea he was a real winner.

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no problem with MJ or any other botanical, when sincerely used as a medical treatment. For many centuries various plants have been our mainstay for treating maladies. Even today they form a good share of such treatments, which is why we have people out digging such plants as hellebore and cohosh and stripping tree barks to be used in various remedies.
Where I have an axe to grind, is where people use it simply for "kicks" and it destroys lives, families and livelihoods. Bad enough they gestroy their own, but now the evidence coming in indicates they reach out to damage & destroy other unknown, and unrelated families.
In any case there is help on the way for those who believe they are helped with their illness by using cannabis..but still don't want the deteriorating side effects:
http://www.spectrum.vcu.edu/insight...ernative-to-medicinal-marijuana/#.VinyqsaFNjo

Plus, there is help coming for law enforcement to control and/or convict those who would carelessly risk others lives ..as well as their own: http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/04/university_of_akron_students_i.html

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
How about tobacco? That's the most dangerous drug of them all with 480,000 deaths per year. Far more dangerous than marijuana. Should we ban that as well?

When you are sucking smoke into your lungs ,you are killing yourself. I don't care if the smoke comes from m j or tobacco, smoke is smoke!
This from a throat cancer survivor, so far! But don't bet the farm I will be here this time next year!

·
Registered
44,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cooter74 said:
How about tobacco? That's the most dangerous drug of them all with 480,000 deaths per year. Far more dangerous than marijuana. Should we ban that as well?

When you are sucking smoke into your lungs ,you are killing yourself. I don't care if the smoke comes from m j or tobacco, smoke is smoke!
This from a throat cancer survivor, so far! But don't bet the farm I will be here this time next year!
See reply #7

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
How come weed is such a problem? It's been banned for decades, that should have fixed the problem, right?

·
Premium Member
24,776 Posts
Doublebass73 said:
How come weed is such a problem? It's been banned for decades, that should have fixed the problem, right?

Yeah, really. Making something illegal guarantees that it's not a problem.

About pot, I've known a lot of harmless beer drinkers over the years who freely admitted that they went home every day and "had a couple of beers". They didn't drive or do anything harmful to anyone except maybe themselves. I see the pot thing as being the same kind of behavior.

·
Registered
11,068 Posts
If you are an employer, which would you rather have as employees, those who have a couple of beers at home after work, or those who have to smoke their brains and come to work with the stuff still in their system?

Personally, I prefer neither and like Ironglow have never felt the need for either. In my life I've known a lot of people who used weed and none of them who stuck with it turned out well. Some of them were on course to be very successful, but the weed was more important and their lives went right down the crapper.

Marijuana is legal in my state and I think it degrades our society. Freedom is a good thing, but it has to be combined with good judgement. Marijuana use is not good judgement.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
The point of being FREE is the capability of making your OWN determination of what IS "GOOD" judgement.

The only valid argument for caution in legalization I have seen is that how to determine impaired condition is as yet harder to determine than with alcohol.

As far as employer/ employee-- if you make widgets, and your employee show up and makes the needed number of widgets with an acceptable error rate-- it is none of your business WHAT they do away from your place of employment. If they do NOT--the reason is irrelevant-- they need to do something else for employment.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts