Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 10 yd showdown with a doe. and came out of it with some gained experience ( Look where you want to shoot ! ) oh well great fun?- Kevin ..... how bout the rest of you??

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I got a doe this morning at 8 o'clock. It was about a 15 yard shot, quartering away. The arrow hit about 4 inches behind the shoulder and exited just in front of the off side shoulder. The deer went about 20 yards and piled up.
I was shooting a 55# Martin Hatfield Take-down with a Carbon Express, Heritage 250 arrow tipped with a 100 grain 3 blade Muzzy.
We had venison, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn on the cob and biscuits for supper tonight! ;D

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

·
Registered
250 Posts
Last Friday evening, I had just passed a nice, but young, 6 pointer when a lone doe came out of the swamp. I usually try to take dry does for the meat, then spend the rest of the season looking for a bigger buck. The doe stood broadside on a trail I call the 'freeway', which parallels the swamp, smelling the former 'traffic'. When nothing showed up with her, indicating no yearlings, I shot a 125 grain Wendsel Woodsmen through her boiler room. It was only a 10 yard or so shot, and she ran straight up hill toward the winter wheat field and died about 70 yards from it. Due to her size, I called my friend who owns the farm, and he helped me pull her up to the field edge. I used a 60# CariBow t/d recurve and Carbon Express wood grain arrows (don't know the # of this series of Carbon Express).

Only down side: I really cut my left hand when my knife slipped while skinning her back home in my pole barn. Three hours waiting in an emergency room for stitches: 2 veins tied off down inside and stitches top side to close her up. First time in over 50 years and tons of animals, large and small, so I was over due!

Best of luck to all, and watch sharp knives! ::)

Arch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts