Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seemed to me that back in the '70's and '80's backpacking was all the rage but I hear very little about it today. Am I misperceiving the situation or has it really sorta died off?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think it is going out of style. To many people drive there SUV's to eat at McDonalds on the weekend...

Ok, I will end my America getting fat and lazy rant before I get carried away.

Oh well, it leaves more room on the trails for me! :grin:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: atvs

southern utah said:
with all the atvs and trails I think people are taking the easy way.
Oh no! Please don't get me started AGAIN! Its not good for my blood pressure!

·
Registered
112 Posts
For what it's worth, I see more and more backpackers, especially in the last 5 years. Granted our population continues to soar, but it looks to me like people are tired of trying to reserve a campground and have gotten back to packing in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Backpacking

I am now too old and beat up to do any more backpacking. However, I find that if I wish to be alone all I have to do is pick up a shovel!
I still go down in the tack room from time to time just to check the old gear out and dream about the good times on the trail. The memories are still good even if the memory is getting bad.
Happy trails,
williek

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's good to hear. I used to have a neighbor that every time I was getting ready for a trip (especially a big game hunt) he would come over and we would exchange stories. He no longer hunted or fished due to his heart and knees but we would talk of our past trips and our stories would some times go long into the night.
He had definately "been there and done that" and still had the desire in him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts