Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
don't believe it to be lined. Anyrate, described as rough bronze casting (pictures show it as unfinished) of a one pounder. Supposedly made by Champlain Cannon Works.
"Weighs a couple of hundred pounds". It will be expensive to ship back into US.

Any insights? What's a one pounder bore?

·
Registered
732 Posts
A round ball of lead weighing one pound is about the same size as a golf ball. At least I have shot one pound cannon ball fishing weights from one of my mortars.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I could not find a one pounder bore listed.
Only one picture so far, with yardstick. I enlarged it... looks like 27" tube, 30" including casabel. Looks a lot like my Gilmore brz 24"... no sense of scale.
Can not direct ship from remote location... first ship by sea to West Coast. Shipping may put this out of reach.

·
7,217 Posts
It may be even 2" bore. The "pounder" designations were not accurate to the nearest thousandth of an inch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
flagman1776 said:
don't believe it to be lined. Anyrate, described as rough bronze casting (pictures show it as unfinished) of a one pounder. Supposedly made by Champlain Cannon Works.
"Weighs a couple of hundred pounds". It will be expensive to ship back into US.

Any insights? What's a one pounder bore? Caruanas book "British arty ammo 1780" smallest brass gun being 1 1/2 pounder bore is 2.310 the ball being 2.201 Any pix ?

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The description: "Rough casting"... I'm waiting on confirmation but I don't think it's bored. Vent is not drilled. Rough exterior (sand cast?).
I don't have an asking price or a shipping estimate. Frustrating waiting but lesser part is going through a middle man & the greater part the remote location.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The contact is through a friend... hopefully trust worthy. Only a single photo so far. I've had email contact with someone who is very knowledgeable about replica cannons cast in the upstate NY region & Bicentential time period. This may turn out to be a dud... still don't have a price or a clue what the shipping would cost.
Instead of answers, getting more questions.

edit
Confirmed: Cast bore, unlined. Not machined or cleaned up inside.

·
7,217 Posts
Not machined or cleaned up inside.

That is an opportunity to do it right.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's how I see it... Hope the seller sees it that way.

GGaskill said:
Not machined or cleaned up inside.
That is an opportunity to do it right.
Still waiting for more infomation across many time zones.

edit:
And still waiting. Left wondering if it's remote location or second thoughts

·
7,217 Posts
Perhaps it's not as important to the other party as it is to you and he has other priorities.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was about to give up figuring a change of heart or a local buyer. I sent an additional message "in case the previous got lost in the electonic never never land". I had only email but in the past, I had lost touch with people who weren't recieving messages. So I never rely solely on email if I have a choice, & don't write off a friend until I've had voice contact.
So I got a reply from his wife, just confirming the contact. Some minor illness right now. Still waiting on costs. At least they haven't backed out (yet)... so the deal remains in limbo...

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keeping in mind it is barrel only & mostly rough as cast... the seller is asking $3000 + the cost of shipping from a remote location. (Plus the cost of sleeving. Plus the cost of carriage building.)
The (1 7/8") sand cast bore is correctly cast with chaplets which he says are visible... the good news is the bore would be centered, the bad news is the chaplets are visible (inside & outside the tube).
For actual firing, I am concerned by the chaplets are a point of weakness. I wouldn't attempt drilling it out (at my risk) to sleeve it.
Anyway, I can buy a new tube, cast solid & drilled, for much less money so that is the bottom line.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Good candidate for boring out and adding a steel liner...... but way high as far as price......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.