Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well deer season is almost here and I go and mess up my right thumb. Was at work today and a router slipped out of my hand and I tried to stop it an my thumb went right into the bit. Messed the top of my thumb pretty good doc could not stitch it up because the way it tore into my fingernail and ripped most of it off not to mention the big slice where my fingernail is suppose to be. They put butterfly strips on and wrapped it tight and said it should grow back together as long as I keep it clean and do what the doc said. So I guess I will have to come up with another way to cock that 30-30 handi. ???

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Flip your hammer extension around or Someone makes one that extends on both sides. Carlisons I think. Good luck

PS that thumbs gonna be real sensitive to the cold this year. Been there done that.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about trying to use my pointer finger. When the pain ain't so bad I will try it out.

·
Super Moderator
51,243 Posts
Sorry to hear that, sometimes stuff happens. :'(

Dunno if it will work for ya, but I've been using the hammer extension on my BLR on the left side of the hammer even tho I'm right handed, it just seems to feel better, ya might try that and see how it works.

Good luck and take care of that injured thumb so it heals good. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i use my trigger finger to cock my rifles and shotguns, just move your finger from the trigger area up to the extention and pull the hammer back then move your finger back to the trigger. thats how i do it, i can maintain a good sight pic thru the scope doing it that way..
just my two cents, glenn

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Dunno if it will work for ya, but I've been using the hammer extension on my BLR on the left side of the hammer even tho I'm right handed, it just seems to feel better, ya might try that and see how it works
Tim,

That's funny. I'm left handed and I 've been shooting with my son who is right handed and I found that I prefer it on the right. I asked my son and he said what's the difference. :D I quess at 6 it doesn't matter how you cock it as long as you get to shoot it. ;D It feels more secure getting a part of the hammer with the inside of my thumb. Before I used the hammer extensions I used to reach under the scope with my trigger finger also, since it is a lot smaller than my thumb and actually fit.

holahead,

Get that thumb healed. With all these crazy infections around I wouldn't want to mess around with it. Good luck. It could have been a lot worse.

JerryKo

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well today had to take the dressing the doc put on off. It don't look as bad as it did on Monday but I still messed it up pretty good about half of my fingernail is gone and there is a nice little plug of meat gone where my fingernail is suppose to be. I going to take real good care of it cause I don't want to get no infection in there. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts