Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago my wife gave me a CVA kit rifle, for over the fireplace. I did take it out to shoot it (first time muzzy deal). Soon I found a load that fits my accuracy criteria for a deer rifle. 3 shots in a 6" circle at 100 yards. Earlier this year a friend gave me permission to hunt his property. So on the opening day of the NC Central muzzleloader season, I walked into the woods at noon. I stopped to just look the place over, and this buck stepped out of a pine thicket. I could count the points through my binos. At about 50 yards I shot, and he went about 40 yards, with a high shoulder hit. The Hornady .490 roundball, 70gr 777, and .10 lubed patch did the job.

He busted off 4 points as he ran low through thick stuff. That's ok since my wife has asked me to curtail the deer heads!!!

·
Super Moderator
51,245 Posts
Congrats, nice buck!! ;) The rifle brings back some fond memories of my shootin partner's CVA Mountain rifle, he kicked a lot of buckskinner butts at rondys with that modest little rifle, they're very accurate, shooting Goex FF, pillow ticking lubed with moosemilk, he could put a whole bunch of rounds in a 1½" group at 100yds.

Tim

·
Registered
281 Posts
congrats on the buck. My muzzle load season starts this Friday,so I hope to see one this week end.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What a nice buck! Great hunting story.
I have killed 7 deer with the .490 patched round ball, and they all went like yours. Put it through the lungs, and they won't make 50 yards, and leave a great blood trail, not that you need it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Nice buck.Don't worry about those broke points,cuz no matter how long you boil 'em,theyare still tuff ;D.Congrads on all that jerky...........Rick

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great looking buck, and great story. That rifle definitely belongs in the field rather than on the wall.

Chalk another one up for the round ball!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts