Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: How do I check the head space on a 7mm tcu. I adjusted the die IAW instruction. Checl the C.O.L. and was under the max recommended by the manualwas 2.675 ( my COL is 2.470). Check the case for MAx lenght and I was under at 1.741, that is less than the trim lenght. I had only fired it twice. I had check the neck run-off in new brass that I havent fire formed and the run-off is 8 to 10 th thousand. is this common? TIA for any help that you can provide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fire-Form 7mm TCU

Hi Gramps,
Have you ever just put the 223 into the 7 TCU chamber of the T/C Contender and fired as is to form the case???
I have fire-formed a bunch this way and never had a problem. I now use .222 rem. mag brass as I find them much stronger and they last a lot longer.

Ron :roll:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey,you do know that the .223 Rem. shoot's a .224 bullet and the 7mmTCU shoot's a .284 bullet. MAN ,I CAN'T SEE SHOOTING A .224 BULLET IN A .284 BORE. :) Do you have any rifling left ? :) Pepole like you should not have a gun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
PJ,
Like I said I have done a bunch of them from my 10" Contender, The rifling is still there and it shoots great. The .224 bullet does nothing to the bore...copper on steel. I am not saying for you to try it but it worked for me without a hitch.
Ron

·
Registered
20 Posts
PJ,
Yes...There are a few splits on the neck...but...not as many as you get with just running the brass into the 7 TCU die, and then you must fire- form them....when you fire the loaded .223 they are ready to go with maby a little trim or squaring the case mouth.
AS I said on my first post I have switched to .222 Rem Mag brass, which I have found them stronger and last longer.

Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gramps

I'm just trying to fix the problem that I have. Everytime I shoot the TCU it comes open. This is what I'm shooting 27 grain H4895 behind a 130 sierra bullet. I'm geting 1900fps. accuracy is not to good. this round were fire form with a different load, and I didn't have a problem. I'm about 1.5 grain before I reach the max. any other sugestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Lou,
Remove your barrel from the action.
Hold the barrel up sidways and look at the locking lug that is just under the shell extractor...this has a slight taper and may be a one piece or a two piece unit.
Take a file or a stone and dress (file down) the locking lug keeping the same angle as before....don't take off too much off at a time.
Doing this will allow the locking lug a better bite into the action and you will not get the "auto open" when you pull the trigger.
If you take too much off the locking lug or don't keep the same angle the barrel will become lose and you will need to replace the lug...they are cheap and easy to get from T/C, I know cuz I goofed on one or two myself, just don't do any filing on the barrel unit itself and you should cure your problem

Good Luck

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts