Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here would know who could heat treat a mauser receiver for me. I see that Numrich has some but they need to be heat treated. Or, would I be better off buying one thats allready done. I was thinking of getting one of their fancy engraved ones for $125 but have no idea who could heat treat it for me.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Re-heat treating a receiver

What do you want to do with your rifle action? Build a hot magnum caliber rifle?

It can very VERY tricky (and risky) to have an old military rifle action re-heat treated to make it strong enough and tough enough to do the job.

The reason it's tricky is that unless the steel formulation is documented (and that is rarely the case with old foreign military production), the heat treat technician has to make GUESSES as to what proper re-heat tempering temperatures are. A wrong guess can "burn" the steel, ruining it's strength.

Also, re-heatreated items frequently warp or even crack when done improperly. It does happen ocassionally even when it IS done properly.

So, from a practical viewpoint, you are much better spending your money on a properly heat treated action to begin with.

If you are still determined to do it, you will find ndustrial heat-treating shops mostly the larger population centers that support the machine and tool industries. Or ask at your local machine shop where they send their heat-treat work.

Try looking in your local Yello Pages telephone directory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re; Heat treating

You are correct in what you are saying. To properly heat treat metal you need to know the composition of it. I have never delt with Numrich Gun Parts before but have heard good things about them. I called and was told that some were heat treated and some were not. They said I could ask for a treated one but no guarrantees. I am going to build a nice custom Mauser, probably a magnum. The idea of getting a fancy engraved receiver for $125.00 really got me thinking, but you know what they say. If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. I will probably just work a VZ 24 action to suite me. I wont have to heat treat it and if its decent to begin with I can end up with a nice rifle. Some day I would truly like to build a presentaton grade rifle, but I would probably start with a new receiver.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
M98 action heattreat

Oh, you must be referring to those Gun Parts Corp (formerly Numrich Arms, NY) M98 receivers. some are described as engraved but not heat-treated. If I recall, those are actions made by Santa Barbara in Spain.

Please be advised that (and there are certainly exceptions), Spanish gun steel is generally considered to be too soft for gun receivers. For many years, they had a bad reputation for lacking durability.

I've owned several surplus Astras, Star, and Llama pistols and M93, M95, M98 Spanish Mausers, plus examined probably hundreds of others. As a rule, they are "soft", and as a rule, they required more gunsmithing attention than most other guns I've worked on. Firing pins, extractors, slides, and frames are subject to peening, burrs, and breakages, more so than most all other makes and brands.

Please don't take this as a criticism of Spanish guns in general, but merely observations made over the last 30 years of working and using firearms of every description.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's the first question my brother always asks....

What grade of steel is it? He is night manager for a Case Hardening plant. Every time I ask him about heating and bending something, or just to make something stronger, he says he would be guessing is he didnt know exactly what the material is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re:Receivers

I thank both of you for your comments. I have no great experience building rifles and appreciate your advice. Heat treating is a tricky endeaver. I think I will stay away from these at this time.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts

nhcruffler said:
I thank both of you for your comments. I have no great experience building rifles and appreciate your advice. Heat treating is a tricky endeaver. I think I will stay away from these at this time.
nhcruffler,
Why don't you look into the 1999 Montana Rifleman Action...best of the Mauser and M70 actions. Prices are in the $500.00 range.
http://www.montanarifleman.com/model1999.html

·
Registered
203 Posts

savageT said:
nhcruffler said:
nhcruffler,
Why don't you look into the 1999 Montana Rifleman Action...best of the Mauser and M70 actions. Prices are in the $500.00 range.
http://www.montanarifleman.com/model1999.html
I had a buddy who is an FFL check out the dealer price on the actions, and they are under $400.

I'm a huge mauser fan, and enjoy doing all my own gunwork. That said, after I finish a few mauser actions I have, I doubt I'll be building any more customs on a mauser. It simply isn't cost effective, even when you do the work yourself. Just add up the cost of d/t ing for a scope mount, bolt handle mod and a new trigger, and you're in the M1999 ball park. Add a 3 position safety, and you're well over it. I think the Montanna action is going to cause quite a stir in the custom market!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 1999 Montana Rifleman Action

I checked them out and they definitly look like a good deal. They have all the features people are usually looking for, S/S, Adj. trigger, nice safety, and brand new. As they say you get what you pay for. I only wonder if they have the standard Mauser thread, to accept the many aftermarket barrels available. I'll send them an email and let you all know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.