Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RickyP used the term(s) "heavy kickers" in a previous post. This comes at a time when I found out someone sold a 7-30 Waters (ported) because it was too much recoil. My first though was "pansy", but then I realized recoil is different for everybody.

This being said, where do you draw the line for a caliber (in a Contender and/or Encore and/or G2 - hehe) to need a three ring scope setup? I have one on a .357 Herret. Don't know if I'll truly need one on my .30 Herret, and time will tell if the Duo-mount will hold up on my .41 mag.

Any ideas? I don't feel my 7-30 Waters needs one, but the gentleman mentioned previousy may think differently.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
There are a lot of variables to that question. Caliber, barell length, porting, hot load, rifle, pistol, shooter size, "pansy", "real man". Well you get my point. What may of may not be considered a real kicker to one, is to another. Personally I have never used more than two rings on a scope. I have pistol barrels in 45/70, 450 marlin 308, 444 marlin, etc. I have never lost a scope yet or had one slip. I mount my rings as far apart as I can and add an extra screw to the weaver style bases at the front. Works for me, KN

·
Banned
224 Posts
Heavy Kickers...

The worst I ever saw on an Encore I had was a 14" .444 Marlin barrel. No matter how you held it the thing would end up pointing to the side when you touched it off. Until I fired that set-up, I was convinced there wasnt a pistol made that I couldnt control and hit the target with...BIG wake up call....after 5 shots, one ripped open thumb, and a heck of a sore wrist later, (not to mention a whole lot of crow)....I decided that the fun had just been taken out of the whole situation.
I did not have a scope mounted on this gun and thinking about it now Im sure that would have soaked up some of the felt recoil, but at the time I was wondering just what kind of ring and base set-up would withstand repeated pounding from that thumper. I didnt know at the time they even made three ring mounts. I have never fired a 7-30 Waters like you mentioned but I know when you get up in the range of (and prolly before) a .444 or .45/70 a three ring mount dang sure wouldnt hurt nothin.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KN - that's exactly why I'm asking! Some calibers, guns, setups may react differently - which is why I use the term "needs". My .357 Herret just would not hold a scope with two rings. Burris, Weaver, Redfield it didn't matter. Put a three ring on - problem solved. Maybe it was just that barrel - but it "needed" three rings.

·
Registered
197 Posts
3 rings needed

I read somewhere that 3 rings not only helps keep the scope from moving, but also protects the scope from shock better because of the increased surface area that the rings cover. I have a 14" 7-30 that I would say is not a piece of cake to shoot, but is definitely shooter-fun friendly. :grin: My 14" 223 on the other hand is a piece of cake to shoot. Neither of these need protection with extra scope rings, in my opinion.

Now my 375JDJ is another matter. I would consider this caliber a serious kicker :shock: to shoot and 3 rings is a good idea just from the standpoint of minimizing the pressure on the contact points of the scope. In fact when I bought my Burris Zee rings, I had to buy 2 pairs to get 3 rings so I just used all 4 on the JDJ. This is over kill most likely, but what do you do with 1 extra ring except waste it by storing it in a drawer. I've had no problems with the scope.

Do you need the extra rings? Guess I'd rather be safe than take the chance of damaging a valuable scope or having one fly off and wopin' me in the knoggin?

bj

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a 14 444marlin that has three rings on it(it was a used setup when I bought it). It kicks pretty good, but thats the way I like it. Without question it depends on the shooter-some pepole don't like it, some sickos like it (I'm in this group). :-D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I hope no one thought I was putting down three ring setups, I certainly wasn't. I just never used one and am probably lucky I never broke a scope. I'm thinking of getting one of those 375 H&H barrels when they become available and shortening it to a usable pistol length. Probably around 16-18", magnaported. Definitly look into the three ring setup for that. Hey TC, I have an 11" 444 that I play with open sighted & non ported, Kicks and twists severly to the left. Have to take my watch off to shoot it or my watch band slaps the crap out of my wrist. Just the way I like them!! KN

·
Registered
669 Posts
Would a 14 inch Encore in 458 Win Mag or 50 Alaskan qualify? 500 gr at slightly over 1900 in the 458. What do you think? :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
To answer your question--IMHO the two calibers that are kickers--44Mag {with full power loads} and the 357 Herritt :-D

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
When I use the term heavy kickers I am not referring to the persons ability to shoot it.
Almost any barrel can be a heavy kicker if setup wrong.
I had a 22 magnum that I considered a heavy kicker ( don't laugh). For some reason I could not keep it from flipping up every time I shot. when I put it down and pick up my 375 jdj (with break and 3 rings) I would have no trouble with muzzle jump.
If I have a question if a barrel will be a heavy kicker or not i will go ahead and install a 3 rd ring. rings are cheep compared to a scope

One other reason I put 3 rings on a barrel, just because I like the looks of the 3 rings

·
698 Posts
Does a 12" .454 Casull on the Encore qualify for this category? I haven't received my barrel yet, but I have a set of Denzel Roberts Recoil Tamer grips that will hopefully help control it a bit.
Selmer

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heavy Kicker

Well Selmer I would say your up coming venture with the 454 Casull will be an eye opener . My son shoots the 12 inch encore I load it with the 300 gr xtp Mag Bullet about 1750 fps across a chrono it will back up on you when I shoot it I put the rubber grips on it Its not a one handed shooter also use the nosler 260 gr at 2078 fps that load hurts the hand nice stingkicks harder than my 450 marlin with the muzzle tamer on it GOT TO LOVE THE BIG GUNS :wink:Mt son is about 6.2 230 lbs he has big hands love more bang for the buck

·
698 Posts
Warhoop, your son is exactly my size and I have a ten-inch hand spread, so I think I'll be able to handle it, I'm starting out with 255 gr. cast with a moderate charge of Universal behind it, I'll work my way up to those powehouse loads. You can get an honest 2000 fps out of the 260gr, eh? What a whitetail slayer, I can't wait!
Selmer

·
Registered
669 Posts
To qualify as a heavy kicker how much would the foot pound energy would a heavy kicker have to have to qualify? let me tell you about my 458 Win Mag Encore pistol. Ha Ha. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
i had a 35 rem that would slay me every time i shot it.

i now have a 30-30 that i think is a pussycat, and my 223 is definatly tame. i shoot my 454 alot and although it isnt a gun you want to shoot all day, i think it is quite tolerable. i think a HUGE factor in the 35 punishing me was the grip. that hard plastic s.o.b. would HURT my hand something fierce. i wish i had a chance to try it again with the softer grip, i am convinced that the grip was responsible for my bad experience with the 35. too bad, i did love that caliber alot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My 45-70 with 535 gr. hot loads and its mag-na-ported but you don't want to shoot it all day or after 10 shots for that matter!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hand Cannon?

Well I have a 15" encore in 458 Win Mag.
I have never shot anything like it before..makes a 45-70 and a 444 seem really tame
Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts