Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased and received my Hern Foundry 1841 Half scale 6 pounder and now have to figure out a Naval Carriage.
I just had a major surgery so though i have all the Tools and skill to build a Carriage, i can't physically do it.
I'm looking at purchasing a Kit, but would need some help sourcing vintage style bolts, nuts etc, as well as the ring bolts.
I think i can physically handle a Kit assembly, but i'm not against just paying someone to build me a Naval Carriage if the price is reasonable.
In my world, that's under 2K if you guys have any suggestions.
I couldn't stand just looking at the tube, so strapped it to a 4 wheel dolly and did some blank loads using Cannon Grade Goex in a foil tube.
I added the Dixie gun works Cannon lock too, i really like the Lanyard pull. Lol
Anyway, glad to be here and hoping for some tips and advice.
Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
His stuff is beautiful, but a little out of my price range unfortunately.
I have drooled at the pics on his website and even called him, i just can't afford that as a newly medically retired guy.

·
Super Moderator
17,001 Posts
How are your metal working and wood working skills?

There are two books you you want to help you build a naval or garrison carriage.

First is out print right now and not available any where but should be on your watch list at ABEBooks. Free Shipping - Building 18th Century Naval Artillery by Damian Siekonic

If you have the ability to scale from pictures, you a copy of Round Shoot and Rammers. Search www.ABEBooks for a copy-always cheap, That book has all kinds of drawings in 2D for modelers to scale from.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How are your metal working and wood working skills?

There are two books you you want to help you build a naval or garrison carriage.

First is out print right now and not available any where but should be on your watch list at ABEBooks. Free Shipping - Building 18th Century Naval Artillery by Damian Siekonic

If you have the ability to scale from pictures, you a copy of Round Shoot and Rammers. Search www.ABEBooks for a copy-always cheap, That book has all kinds of drawings in 2D for modelers to scale from.
Well, until i just had a Lung removed my skills were good. That kind of stopped my from doing much of anything unfortunately.
I have all the tools and skills, i just can't physically do it.

·
Super Moderator
17,001 Posts
Well, until i just had a Lung removed my skills were good. That kind of stopped my from doing much of anything unfortunately.
I have all the tools and skills, i just can't physically do it.
I assume you mean do it right now....later as you learn to live and do, we hope your one lung connects with your skill and you learn to do things at a different pace.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I assume you mean do it right now....later as you learn to live and do, we hope your one lung connects with your skill and you learn to do things at a different pace.
Thanks for the kind words, i'm hoping my capacity improves too. I was hoping to find a kit and hardware to make things easier, i think i can do that if i take it slow.

·
Super Moderator
17,001 Posts
I am going suggest talking with with Michael Elledge or Dom Carpenter see what kind of deal you can work with one of them.

Buy the material and parts a little at a time. Took me 12 years to get the bowling ball mortar built, Well it should be finished sometimes this week or next month.

The pastor at church has a sermon series in which he quotes Carl Jung, "hurry is not of the devil, hurry is the devil." Good sound Christian words from the psychiatrist for cannon building.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
The other thing is to build a simple sled/carriage that will allow you to shoot it as you make a nicer carriage or have one built or save to buy one. This is something someone might be able to make for you are a lot less cost.

I have not been happy with all aspects of my naval carriage and making improvements bit by bit. So you can have a pretty cool carriage and then improve it over time as you are able or can get someone to make parts.

Reactions: usrifle

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's pretty limited from what i can see as far as a carriage maker, and even trying to find some of the hardware seems near impossible.
Lot's of "404" no longer in business websites...
Those rings on the cheeks? I found them in brass, but not Iron. Same with the other hardware.
I guess i bit off more than i can chew in my present condition.
I guess i should have started my bucket list Cannon earlier, it's not looking good.
I spoke to Campbell's last week, they were supposed to have the guys who actually build the Carriages call me back, but nothing so far.
I give props to Micheal Elledge, he did answer his phone and was very nice. His carriage's are beautiful, but putting that Hern tube on one of his Museum grade Carriage's would be like spending a lot of Money to dress up a Chevy Nova in Cadillac clothes.
Those Carriages deserve a polished Brass tube that would do the Carriage justice.
I should have done a whole lot more research before i did anything, much like a lot of purchases t would have saved some headaches.
Thanks for the help guys, but looks like i'm in a bit of a bind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Wow! What are the odds? Sooooo.....You want to make some Money building a Naval Cannon carriage?
I will pay well, i just cannot do it myself. It's not a big project, the carriage is only 21 inches long and the tube is 32.5" and 100 lbs.

I even have plans i got for it from Hern. :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts