Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been visiting for quite some time and thought I would finally post. I bought a 223 Ultra Varmint and really like it. Thought someone would be able to tell me why I got a flyer on each three shot group.

The 3 shot group on the left is the first group, the 3 shot group on the right is after a scope adjustment. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
50,981 Posts
Welcome aboard, Jack! :D There are several things that can be done, what have you done so far, is the flyer always the 3rd shot or is it random?

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
Welcome aboard. Pull up a chair, kick up your feet and stay awhile.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Same here-Welcome to the forum Jack.
Have you polished your bore?
I personally haven't yet :oops: but my 223 Ultra does the same thing now, after about 300+ odd shots through mine,and I was going to give that a try.
This was a suggestion that Mac gave me, and several here have done the same with sucess.
Might be the possibility for your flyers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't done anything to the rifle except shoot it. I have been reading about some of the things others try but the gun shoots so good I really don't want to mess with it.

I don't know if the odd hole is the 1st shot or 3rd. I might try shooting one round at a time and then marking them to see. If the odd hole is the 3rd I think a 2 shot group is starting to sound good to me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
jack19512 said:
I haven't done anything to the rifle except shoot it. I have been reading about some of the things others try but the gun shoots so good I really don't want to mess with it.

I don't know if the odd hole is the 1st shot or 3rd. I might try shooting one round at a time and then marking them to see. If the odd hole is the 3rd I think a 2 shot group is starting to sound good to me.
You might even find that by taking the time to walk downrange and mark the bullet holes, you don't have a flyer anymore. If this is the case, the flyer is caused by barrel heating.

My advice is to shoot a FIVE SHOT group, marking each hole between shots. Even better would be a ten shot group with each hole marked.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about that after I had posted. Walking back and fourth at 100 yards should give the barrel time to cool off. Wouldn't be a total waste though, I would get plenty of exercise.

I am very happy with this rifle and with the way it shoots. I have a cheap scope on it now but plan on putting a much better scope on it. I am using the winchester 45GR ammo in it because it seems to like it real well.

Funny thing is that I tried the 50GR Federal ammo that Walmart is selling in a (I think) 200 pack and in the 3 shot groups I shot I didn't have the flyer and the ammo grouped pretty well, just not as tight as the 45GR did.

·
Super Moderator
50,981 Posts
Jack, if you find that the flyer is random, not the last shot consistently, you may have a scope/mount problem, where the point of impact is changing just a little due recoil, something changing in the sighting system, most likely an internal problem with the scope. If you have a different scope to put on it to eliminate that variable, it would help. Also check the base/rings out. If you didn't remove the base and clean the mount holes in the receiver before loctiting the base back on when you originally mounted the scope, I would recommend doing that. Here's a previous thread with a my procedure for base mounting. A little heat applied to the mount holes will soften the thread locker that was applied by H&R, make sure the holes are clean and shiny to the bottom, or the screws will bottom out on the old thread locker leaving the base loose.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=66442

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts