Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought I should do a proper self introduction,

I was directed here via rimfire central, as I just picked up a Handi rifle in .44 and need some spare parts as I want to future proof this rifle, they are very rare in the UK I'm knocking on the door of 50 and have had hundreds of different guns over the years,

This Handi rifle is a keeper, I adore it, its going to stay with me until I pop my clogs, hence my enquiries regarding spare parts, I want to keep this thing going for as long as possible.

A little bit about me, I've been shooting since I was 6 years old, initially shotguns and air guns,

I currently I shoot competitive smallbore prone, running deer and full-bore target rifle, and I dabble in clays and skeet along with small game and pheasant shooting, planning to go to Scotland later in the summer to do some proper deer stalking,

I'm a qualified NRA Range conducting officer and former secretary (boss) of a gun club, I also worked in the gun trade when I was young in a high end auctioneers, quite a famous one I was surrounded by Purdeys and Holland and Hollands, after a while I became less enamoured with tailored guns, seems like a waste of money, i just got a cheap Spanish AYA side by side for £80 and it smashes clays all day long the same as £100k shotgun,

My true passion is single shot break action rifles and Drillings or combination guns, they are in my mind sexy hence my love affair with the Handi

Merkel K5 £5,000

I'm here to help as you fellows have been kind to me in offering advice with regards to the Hani and I'm here to do the same,

Anything related to rimfire, British guns, airguns or shotguns please let me know, added to that if any of you visit London, please do let me know I can act as a tour guide and also take you shooting, the only payment I accept is in pints of ale as its a stable currency

All the best

Eddie

·
Premium Member
10,968 Posts
Hello Eddie and Welcome to the GBO Forums! This is a great place. Pull up a chair, sit a spell, and join in the conversation.
Among my favorite .22 rifles are two BSA Martini's: A MKII international and a Model 15.
Congrats on acquiring your Handi!

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Welcome to the GBO2 Forums, the BEST source of Handi-rifle information on the Internet (we think). H&R and NEF single shot's are not made anymore. We've been hoarding them, as Handi-haulics, for DECADES. The ones we have are all there are or will ever be. YOURS has some of the finest furniture on it I have ever seen. Tell us about that and your days at the auction house!

Visit the ANNOUNCEMENTS forum for the site's "Terms of Use" and while there, see the "Forum Skills 101" series of posts for clarifications. Be aware that the CLASSIFIEDS forums, H&R Handi-rifle Classifieds forum, and BP Mortar and Cannon Classifieds each have specific Rules for participation.

Spend a few minutes in familiarization with the site's functions (Announcements). I'm here to help. If you cannot find something, please give me a head's up via PM.

We're glad you are here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, it seems I'm in the right place, although I'm not sure if anyone is willing to sell to the UK as wolf and many other US vendors no longer export. gun parts.

I too love BSA martini rifles, we have one at the club which is special it has some kind of enchantment, you know the feeling when you pick up a rifle and it speaks to you, this is one of those rare rifles that seems to have homing bullets, even when you fluff the shot it still finds the 10 ring,

You'll weep when you see the prices they fetch here £80-250

Item Search Results

I'll read up on forum rules and etiquette!

All the best

Eddie

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My babies,
From top to bottom,

NEF/H&R Handi rifle in .44 mag
Gamo Compact/Air Venturi .177 10 meter air pistol
Anschutz Model 54 .22lr
CZ455American Sythetic .22lr with Atec Wave sound moderator
Lincoln 20 gage O/U
AYA Yeoman 12 bore side by side

Wood Gun accessory Tool Blade Metal

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Gorgeous! I've got a 20 ga. Belgium Browning Superposed O/U with scrolled receiver and an Anschutz 22 [LATE NOTE: (model 1422D in the U.S. as Savage-Anschutz Model 54 Sporter)] not set up at all like yours though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much

Browning's are lovely,

The 12 bore only cost £80, I'm taking it to a sporting clays shot tomorrow along with the 20 for a lady,

I love them all and they all have a purpose,

·
Registered
54 Posts
Lovely collection
Lets see what i have in the safe
Mossberg 535 28" and rifled barrels 12ga
Mossberg 505 youth model 20ga
Huglu silver hawk 28ga
CIL Anschutz model 150
Tc encore 50cal muzzle loader
Cooey model 39
Then my assortment of NEF/H&R

You should see the looks i get when i swap barrels at the range. Like they've never seen such a thing, then i make their head swim when i tell them ive got 11 barrels and 3 receivers

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the best forum on the internet.
My only Handi Rifle is a 45-70, I'd really like to find a .357 magnum barrel for it.
Cheers!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If only it was that easy for us here in the UK a separate barrel is technically classed as a firearm,

I took the Handi to Bisley, yesterday and turned a few heads, we shot with a really nice set of retired police who where all fascinated by the Handi, a few chaps came over and asked about my "rook rifle", everyone I've met, said its very pretty not one person I've encountered since I got this rifle has even heard of Handi rifles, NEF but a few people obviously knew of Harrington and Richardson

It shot some nice groups at Bisley on Century range electronic targets sitting at 200 yards off elbows

Font Electronic device Display device Machine Circle

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
I'll give you credit, which is due, for that 200-yard, open sight, "nice group". I can see an 8" diameter (and smaller) target at 200 yards.

As a meat hunter and landowner graced with an abundance of wildlife and my own range, I won't practice shooting a hunting rifle - with open sights. No criticism to you. What is critical to me is one shot, one kill, DRT. I have me, myself, and I, and the hunting rifle, and its scope tuned to 275 yards, though the wildlife, graciously and typically presents at distances less than 100 yards.

Your Handi has four grooves on top of the barrel, just ahead of the breech, two on each side. Those grooves are begging for a set of Weaver or Leupold scope rings and a suitable "high end" scope. You might have to add an offset trigger - as on you 44 Mag.

What is an "electronic target"? I surmise it is a representation, at the bench, of bullet holes made 200 yards away. What projectile, weight, and powder load were you shooting?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Great minds think alike, im thinking of a Meopta or leupold fixed mag scope. I like fixed mag as it means less lenses, better light transmission and clarity, also less to go wrong,

I'm using 19.5 grains of H110, federal. Magnum primers, Privi brass with 240grain .430 diameter lead bullets.

A lot of fun, just grabbed some unique a bunch more heads and 500 primers, so I have a gallery/cowboy load for indoor and a pokey load for bisley.

The electronic targets are a fairly new addition to bisley, you have a standard target but with microphone pick ups that determine where the shot printed.

Prior to that you had to assign some poor sod to mark and change targets in the butts.

It saves a great deal of time.

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
Of that I am certain. I use a Golf Cart to run between 200-yard targets and the bench. At least that saves some wear-and-tear on my knees.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,539 Posts
Who the heck needs a target camera system? I do, for sure - and so do many other shooters for target work or just setting up a firearm. More and more gun ranges are adding target cameras, too, particularly for longer distance shooting lines.

What's the big deal, why do I need one? For starters, two reasons - at longer distances it gets harder to see bullet holes in paper, and at really long ranges even very expensive spotting scopes can't see hi-power rifle bullet holes particularly if there are dozens of holes already on the face, and then there's the matter of mirage and/or inclement weather.

The 6-24x50 scope on my 6mm target rifle has no problem with bullet holes on clean paper at 200 yards but fails beyond that distance. On the other hand, my Sharps .45-70 has iron sights. Yep, need a spotting scope even at 100 yards, and for distances past 300 yards I'd need to spend a good four figures on a spotting scope that would poop out if there was mirage or other weather issues. Not so with a target cam - you get to see the target face as if you were right there downrange. With the touch of your smartphone or tablet or computer screen, you'll see just where that last bullet landed no matter how many holes are in the target face, or see that last bullet splatter on a steel plate - can't do that with a spotting scope.

Over the last few years I've used a number of different target camera systems - Caldwell, Bullseye, and Target Vision - all worked well for my intended purposes.

The basic Caldwell system is bare bones and can do about 300 yards, but their long range system is purported to do one mile. I used their long range camera out to 500 yards with good success. Even so, this cheap system is $300 and its software is basic and lacking.

The Bullseye and Target Vision long range systems are excellent, with decent to very good software applications, and their price tags are in the $600 and way up range. Bullseye has a "sight in" camera system that will do 300 yards - I tested it out and it works well, with a street price of about $200. Both of these target systems offer excellent images.

Enter the Desert Precsision Gunworks Target Camera. Kenny has created a truly Great camera system that is quite affordable! I like it so much that I've ordered another. It will render images at 1080P and at distances of over two miles. I've tested it out to 700 yards and it works flawlessly. It's a tremendous value for $200. It will blink the last shot fired and save images as well. The transmitter unit can be put on any camera tripod (not included) and it's powered by an 18650 battery, as is its companion base receiving station. While the base station can run on its battery for a good continuous 8 hours, the camera battery is the one doing all the work transmitting images to the base station, and its battery will quickly use up juice as target distances increase. So, for the camera I use a cheap portable power pack and get a good 8 hours of continuous use. Like all other target cameras, it works off its own wi-fi internet and only requires line-of-sight access. The Eagle Target Cam software application for Android, IPhone, or PC, is a download.

Desert Precision Gunworks Eagle Target Cam

View of the 200 yard line from the target pit ...

Setup in the pit ...

Shooting a Sharps .45-70 black powder paper patched bullet cartridge rifle with iron sights off cross sticks @ 200 yard shooting line ...

Image taken by the Eagle Target Cam @ 200 yards - even holes in a dark matte black target face show up.
This is exactly what you'd see on your computing device; and better yet, the last shot taken will be blinking ...

Has anybody tried one of these?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Great minds think alike, im thinking of a Meopta or leupold fixed mag scope. I like fixed mag as it means less lenses, better light transmission and clarity, also less to go wrong,

I'm using 19.5 grains of H110, federal. Magnum primers, Privi brass with 240grain .430 diameter lead bullets.

A lot of fun, just grabbed some unique a bunch more heads and 500 primers, so I have a gallery/cowboy load for indoor and a pokey load for bisley.

The electronic targets are a fairly new addition to bisley, you have a standard target but with microphone pick ups that determine where the shot printed.

Prior to that you had to assign some poor sod to mark and change targets in the butts.

WHAT!? You have primers in England? Let me guess, they are all American brand names, right?
By-the-way, welcome to GBO!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Primers, sigh when I went into a local Ye olde gunshoppe and asked, he just laughed!

Yes, 90% of our primers are American, Federal, CCI etc

Except for Henry Krank and which are made in Serbia, I assuming they are part of Privi Partisan, they're still selling at old prices for £6 a hundred, I snapped up a thousand. we also get Sellier and Belot primers although.....

I worked in the gun trade for a while and a few of my old friends, who have their ear to the ground have told me, that its looking like next summer for the next shipment of primers.
Added to that, Sellier and Belot are ceasing to manufacture ammunition for the civilian market and will focus on military and law enforcement sales only, so we wont be getting anymore of their primers either!

I got around 300 federal large magnum primers for a hot "Bisley load" using 20grains of H110, running a 240 grain SWC I'm working up a low powered load using Unique starting at 4 grains and gradually working it up as I had a couple of noise complaints from our prone shooters, hopefully someone will put it in writing and ill have a bomb proof reason to get a .45 moderator/Suppressor

The good old days!

My kind of pub, although. the muzzle discipline is atrocious. its making my Range officery-ness twitch!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

By the way electronic targets are awesome espeically when using open sights, as century ranges allow concurrent firing from different distances, Century has have a sheltered trench, you need to walk through which is not directly accessible, essentially you have to walk a really long way to change targets as the range is always live, going forward is a strict no no, oddly enough you get people behind you shooting at longer distances, but they put a lot of lane separation 200 mils as a bare minimum

·
Registered
229 Posts
Primers, sigh when I went into a local Ye olde gunshoppe and asked, he just laughed!

Yes, 90% of our primers are American, Federal, CCI etc

Except for Henry Krank and which are made in Serbia, I assuming they are part of Privi Partisan, they're still selling at old prices for £6 a hundred, I snapped up a thousand. we also get Sellier and Belot primers although.....

I worked in the gun trade for a while and a few of my old friends, who have their ear to the ground have told me, that its looking like next summer for the next shipment of primers.
Added to that, Sellier and Belot are ceasing to manufacture ammunition for the civilian market and will focus on military and law enforcement sales only, so we wont be getting anymore of their primers either!

I got around 300 federal large magnum primers for a hot "Bisley load" using 20grains of H110, running a 240 grain SWC I'm working up a low powered load using Unique starting at 4 grains and gradually working it up as I had a couple of noise complaints from our prone shooters, hopefully someone will put it in writing and ill have a bomb proof reason to get a .45 moderator/Suppressor

The good old days!

My kind of pub, although. the muzzle discipline is atrocious. its making my Range officery-ness twitch!
Are you close to the Bisley range? I have a Colt SAA Bisley, flat top target model in .32-20 with 7 ½" barrel. There were only just over 100 of these made for a competition at Bisley. Very nice

1 - 20 of 67 Posts