Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Discontinued,
Excuse my curiosity, but, I have to ask: Are the pictures of the Bisley range? The prone firing line, is it mixed calibers or like all .22 LR? All the front sights appear to be hooded with a tube, is this some sort of optic or just a sort of hooded sight...whatever, it appears to be commonly used.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Are you close to the Bisley range? I have a Colt SAA Bisley, flat top target model in .32-20 with 7 ½" barrel. There were only just over 100 of these made for a competition at Bisley. Very nice
Yes I'm about 30 miles from Bisley, I love it there, its like walking back in time to Edwardian England, the club houses are very beautiful
Wow, Colt Bisley! nice piece a flat top as well, and in .32-20 (proper target model) even nicer, a rare piece anywhere, very few of them reached the UK, I believe there is one in the Bisley heritage museum, When I worked at Holts we'd see the odd Colt SAA, they are gorgeous what I like about them is that they are so beautifully over engineered,

My dream gun would be a Webley Fosbury automatic revolver, utterly British and eccentric, i can imagine Colonel Fosbury himself saying "By Jove old bean, we need automatic revolvers" we wouldn't want the Yanks or the Jerries to get the upper hand!

@Discontinued,
Excuse my curiosity, but, I have to ask: Are the pictures of the Bisley range? The prone firing line, is it mixed calibers or like all .22 LR? All the front sights appear to be hooded with a tube, is this some sort of optic or just a sort of hooded sight...whatever, it appears to be commonly used.
curiosity is a good thing!

You can use anything at Bisley so long as its within range limits, I think only .50BMG is prohibited, Ill have to check as I'm approved to conduct high muzzle energy shooting as a range officer.
Bisley has 25 yard ranges, up to 1200yards, running deer and running boar, air gun, steel plate, silhouette, shotgun, practical shotgun, civilian service rifle, Archery, Historic arms meetings, as well as miniature cannon and all kinds of really nice oddball stuff.

The rifles you see are full bore target rifles with Dioptre sights, much like a smallbore Olympic rifle but typically in .308 or .223, that photo was taken during a National
but these rifles are not cheap!

Musgrave Target rifle in .308

Custom build

The trick is to try and replicate your smallbore .22lr in a .308 target rifle, they are almost like F class shooters and the top end Guys and girls usualy change barrels every season, which can mean you do get the odd bargain

We have some very, very good full bore shooters at my club, one young lady just qualified for the Commonwealth games

At the zeroing range a couple of months ago, A club member with her wind coach, Oh yes you need a wind coach, if you want to do well, they also act as spotters and score keepers

Match rifle shooting Shooting range Shorts Air gun Machine gun

We shoot the Queens prize here in the UK which is shot at various distances up to 1200 yards with open sighted target rifles, if you win, well not only are you an amazing marksman/woman, you get carried on a chair and you get a letter and £500 from her majesty, The prize has remained the same since the reign of Queen Victoria!
I might enter one day, but the comp fees are very high as they only permit the use of factory ammo and part of your entry fee covers this. added to that its shot over many days! This is a typical queens prize, raining, how unusual for the UK

If you have the time to spare check out this 1980's BBC documentary about Bisley, its about 1 hour long but explains everything!, you even see the legendary Malcolm Cooper OBE, not only a legendary marksman he was pivotal in the design the Accuracy International sniper/target rifle.

Ask anyone who's been there, will know this honestly nothing at Bisley has changed, its frozen in time, even the sense cuisine and sense of fashion has frozen in time,

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes I'm about 30 miles from Bisley, I love it there, its like walking back in time to Edwardian England, the club houses are very beautiful
Wow, Colt Bisley! nice piece a flat top as well, and in .32-20 (proper target model) even nicer, a rare piece anywhere, very few of them reached the UK, I believe there is one in the Bisley heritage museum, When I worked at Holts we'd see the odd Colt SAA, they are gorgeous what I like about them is that they are so beautifully over engineered,

My dream gun would be a Webley Fosbury automatic revolver, utterly British and eccentric, i can imagine Colonel Fosbury himself saying "By Jove old bean, we need automatic revolvers" we wouldn't want the Yanks or the Jerries to get the upper hand!

curiosity is a good thing!

You can use anything at Bisley so long as its within range limits, I think only .50BMG is prohibited, Ill have to check as I'm approved to conduct high muzzle energy shooting as a range officer.
Bisley has 25 yard ranges, up to 1200yards, running deer and running boar, air gun, steel plate, silhouette, shotgun, practical shotgun, civilian service rifle, Archery, Historic arms meetings, as well as miniature cannon and all kinds of really nice oddball stuff.

The rifles you see are full bore target rifles with Dioptre sights, much like a smallbore Olympic rifle but typically in .308 or .223, that photo was taken during a National
but these rifles are not cheap!

Musgrave Target rifle in .308

Custom build

The trick is to try and replicate your smallbore .22lr in a .308 target rifle, they are almost like F class shooters and the top end Guys and girls usualy change barrels every season, which can mean you do get the odd bargain

We have some very, very good full bore shooters at my club, one young lady just qualified for the Commonwealth games

At the zeroing range a couple of months ago, A club member with her wind coach, Oh yes you need a wind coach, if you want to do well, they also act as spotters and score keepers

View attachment 262012

We shoot the Queens prize here in the UK which is shot at various distances up to 1200 yards with open sighted target rifles, if you win, well not only are you an amazing marksman/woman, you get carried on a chair and you get a letter and £500 from her majesty, The prize has remained the same since the reign of Queen Victoria!
I might enter one day, but the comp fees are very high as they only permit the use of factory ammo and part of your entry fee covers this. added to that its shot over many days! This is a typical queens prize, raining, how unusual for the UK

If you have the time to spare check out this 1980's BBC documentary about Bisley, its about 1 hour long but explains everything!, you even see the legendary Malcolm Cooper OBE, not only a legendary marksman he was pivotal in the design the Accuracy International sniper/target rifle.

Ask anyone who's been there, will know this honestly nothing at Bisley has changed, its frozen in time, even the sense cuisine and sense of fashion has frozen in time,
I had no idea of the magnitude of the Queen's Prize competition! Thank you for posting the video. One more question: why do some shooters have a piece of paper
in the rear sight?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
That's a "blinder" its used so you don't squint, as you are supposed to shoot with both eyes open, You have to be very relaxed, facial tension can affect the fall of the shot

some people have them on a headband, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my headband blinder and getting a Centra blinder like the ones you spotted, They screw on under the rear Dioptre/Aperture sight

Most people make them out of PVC milk jugs but you can buy them,
Centra Eye Blinder

Been thinking of getting one for my Anschutz as the headband is not fixed to the rifle and has little repeatability,

Musical instrument Toy Wood Flooring Carnivore

If money where no object I'd get a Blieker smallbore rifle, it uses a Faulkner action, which uses ball bearings to lock the bolt, crazy design, but £7,000 upwards!

Much to my surprise, I used a Heym SR30 in 6.5 Creedmoor Faulkner action straight pull recently and I thought bearing locking bolt actions only where for rimfire, it was stupidly accurate!

Bleiker Challenger II Master Smallbore Rifle

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's a "blinder" its used so you don't squint, as you are supposed to shoot with both eyes open, You have to be very relaxed, facial tension can affect the fall of the shot

some people have them on a headband, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my headband blinder and getting a Centra blinder like the ones you spotted, They screw on under the rear Dioptre/Aperture sight

Most people make them out of PVC milk jugs but you can buy them,
Centra Eye Blinder

Been thinking of getting one for my Anschutz as the headband is not fixed to the rifle and has little repeatability,

View attachment 262015

If money where no object I'd get a Blieker smallbore rifle, it uses a Faulkner action, which uses ball bearings to lock the bolt, crazy design, but £7,000 upwards!

Much to my surprise, I used a Heym SR30 in 6.5 Creedmoor Faulkner action straight pull recently and I thought bearing locking bolt actions only where for rimfire, it was stupidly accurate!

Bleiker Challenger II Master Smallbore Rifle
You are miles above me ....the only thing I recognized was 6.5 Creedmore, the caliber of my Ruger Precision. A Daisy BB gun compared to the Bleiker!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Ruger Precision is an accurate rifle, and as Bill Calfee once said "only accurate rifles are interesting", I always shied away from 6.5 Creedmoor, as its a bit of a barrel burner

Blieker's are stunning they also make centrefire rifles, however money isn't always the key to success,

There are guys and girls at my club who regularly get high 90's with BSA Martini's that cost as little as £100 over here,

Much like what I describe above, with relation to shotguns is similar the latest fashion is that everyone wants an Annie, Walther or Blieker, A good friend was using a club BSA martini international, when he got his FAC, he went out and spent £4,500 on an very nice Anschutz, his average increased by two points! You could buy a small car for that!

Skill and good ammuntiton is often the biggest factor, I can regularly get 96-97 out of 100 with my old 1966 Anschutz 54 Modelle match which I was given by an old gent who fought in WW2, i insisted on giving him something, instead he asked me to donate £100 to the Royal British Legion which is a veterans society/charity!

Dark horse rimfire ammo shh don't tell anyone RWS Rifle Match or R50 is the bomb! cheaper and more reliable than Eley, which has gone downhill since they fired all the boffins in labcoats,

Only Eley worth a dam is Tennex, anything else is just a gamble,

A lot of these BSA's are being scrapped, or butchered by farmers and pest controllers, and converted into bunny guns as getting the barrel chopped and threaded for a can, they end up plonking some cheap glass on top, as BSA;s without peep sights they are almost worthless I've seen some on sale for £60,

Its a lot cheaper than buying a CZ or 10/22 and if you need a working gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was at the range yesterday testing loads and i found a sweet spot
5.3gr bullseye, jacket flat nose truncated 240gr, federal magnum pistol primers from my nef .44 rifle using iron sights @50y...... .75 inch grouping but heres the best part, i couldn't hear them fire using my ear plugs!
I could see the dirt fly off the berm, i could feel the recoil, see the holes in the target with spotting scope. But no BANG
First time it happened i thought primer pop, barrel plugged but upon inspection it was free and clear. I even walked out to the target looking for the projectile only to find a hole in the target, high right.
I repeated the process a total of 5 times with the same results, i moved up to 5.9gr and could just hear it fire, my 9.4gr load was heard in the next county.

The lower amounts were pistol data while the 9.7gr was from rifle data.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Nice, i like it!

For once it was my night off from RO duty, I could play all night!

I'm using 5 grains of unique but still got a few noise complaints, dropped to 4grains with a .429 240 grain RN head, practically no recoil and very quiet , but I still got comments about noise, it is an indoor range the heart of the city, and as a result we try to be discreet

I could easily get a suppressor for it here as the law is pretty relaxed about "sound moderators" although for obvious reasons pistol calibre cans are not that common in the UK, I can already feel this might get expensive as I might have to order a custom build

Moderators | Wildcat Moderators

·
Registered
54 Posts
In case youre wondering about my hearing gear, it was a cheap $10 moldable amazon find. A decibullz knockoff ... Imakara nrr37. I figured for $10 id try them, they are easy to mold, have 2 buds, and they block noise well! Very comfortable too

·
Super Moderator
11,351 Posts
I once shot a fully automatic, suppressed, Thompson 45 ACP machinegun. The velocity had been bled so dramatically, I could literally see the bullet race from muzzle to ground. Projectiles picked up could be, and were, reloaded.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Supressed is best!

I never fired a full auto supressed! that sounds like a lot of fun, .223's and .308's ive shot a ton, although supersonic the'rye "ear safe" so no need for ear defenders or plugs, a .223 going full whack out of a can, sounds like someone hitting a steel scaffold pole with a small hammer "Ding-Whoosh" supressed rimfires are just amazing, "plop" is all you hear, at Bisley my CZ felt emasculated next to all those .303's and 260's it sounded like a toy

My hearing is absolutely shot as when I was young I'd go shot gunning with no ear protection at all, same with full-bore rifle, added to that many concerts, raves and a Sony Walkman all helped to create pretty bad tinnitus,

But I'm ok with it, in fact I kind of like it as I have an excuse to zone out when people i dont like start talking at me,

Also its a pick up line "sorry love could you speak closer, hard of hearing!"

The epitome of centrefire quiet gun has to be the Delisle carbine, Its basically a Lee Enfield chambered in .45acp with a 1911 magazine, special forces hush puppy, the stroy of its inception and the inventors behind it are Fascinating

Sir Donald Campbell a race car driver and land and water speed record holder had some part in the design of this rifle too

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Shotgun

You can get repro's but again not cheap, a WW2 original well I can only imagine
CPG make them if you have deep enough pockets

Firearms | Chatteris | CPG Design

·
Registered
229 Posts
Supressed is best!

I never fired a full auto supressed! that sounds like a lot of fun, .223's and .308's ive shot a ton, although supersonic the'rye "ear safe" so no need for ear defenders or plugs, a .223 going full whack out of a can, sounds like someone hitting a steel scaffold pole with a small hammer "Ding-Whoosh" supressed rimfires are just amazing, "plop" is all you hear, at Bisley my CZ felt emasculated next to all those .303's and 260's it sounded like a toy

My hearing is absolutely shot as when I was young I'd go shot gunning with no ear protection at all, same with full-bore rifle, added to that many concerts, raves and a Sony Walkman all helped to create pretty bad tinnitus,

But I'm ok with it, in fact I kind of like it as I have an excuse to zone out when people i dont like start talking at me,

Also its a pick up line "sorry love could you speak closer, hard of hearing!"

The epitome of centrefire quiet gun has to be the Delisle carbine, Its basically a Lee Enfield chambered in .45acp with a 1911 magazine, special forces hush puppy, the stroy of its inception and the inventors behind it are Fascinating

Sir Donald Campbell a race car driver and land and water speed record holder had some part in the design of this rifle too

View attachment 262043
You can get repro's but again not cheap, a WW2 original well I can only imagine
CPG make them if you have deep enough pockets

Firearms | Chatteris | CPG Design
The whole barrel is a can!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ian is a lovely chap, also known as gun Jesus due to his appearance, I met Ian at an auction in the UK many years ago, before his YouTube channel was a thing. A real gentleman and great ambassador for the USA

Forgotten weapons is a really good resource for rare and unusual guns,

I managed to source a pair of these a .303 and a .22 Lee Enfield SMLE training rifle for a close friend and sent him straight to Ian's forgotten weapons YouTube Channel

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Machine gun

The top is a .303 1918 South African rifle in .303 (£750) with some great provenance, according to the paper work! it was recently used in the movie 1917 and has a really good bore, its a shooter!
The Bottom is a 1922 Mk2 civilian training rifle in .22lr, simply gorgeous and exceptionally rare, also exceptionally expensive too £2.000 but wow it can punch out on hole groups at 50 yards off a rest with Eley Match

They call me the enabler at the club as I'm adept at persuading people to buy guns, I do this for selfish reasons, so I can live vicariously through their purchases and get to shoot many weird, wonderful and exotic rifles!

The problem with enabling is it can boomerang on you and you end up getting "reverse enabled"

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think he's a bit blasé as he's handling rare stuff like that all the time!

We used to play "catch" with elephant guns as from a distance the look like a side by side 12 bore, you'd be expecting a super light shotgun but a double rifle is significantly heavier!

I once was the victim of such a prank and nearly dropped a double rifle that went on to sell for £125,000.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You must have handled millions of £'s of guns in your life so far. That would be one helluva education in itself! I need to get some good pictures of my AK I just refinished. I didn't care for the color and of the three pieces on the rifle, they were all different colors! So, I removed the factory finish. I wanted to darken the wood without disguising the walnut.
I thought it turned out just right. In dim light it appears almost black, but, in the sun the walnut really comes through. I will attempt to get some good pics in sunlight today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nice, I'm at the range, RO-ing tonight, and I'm still handling expensive rifles
Wood Door Musical instrument Flooring Folk instrument

Two of our 11 Anschutz club rifles £4,500 each!

Mine is the wooden stocked model 54 match at the back, hopefully I get to shoot it, as I'm not allowed until relieved from range officer duties 😅

21 - 40 of 67 Posts