Graybeard Outdoors banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

Registered
Nice, I'm at the range, RO-ing tonight, and I'm still handling expensive rifles View attachment 262062

Two of our 11 Anschutz club rifles 拢4,500 each!

Mine is the wooden stocked model 54 match at the back, hopefully I get to shoot it, as I'm not allowed until relieved from range officer duties 馃槄
Eddie,
Yours looks like a rifle. The others appear like some sort of prosthetic device.
Stay safe,
R

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I love my Anschutz more than any other object I've ever owned, partly because the guy who gave it to me is a legend and WW2 royal navy veteran, but also because this rifle can shoot!

With regard to those aluminium stocked Annie's, they are the bain of our RO's life, because they're stupidly adjustable people feel they need to tinker with them.

Case in point my team mate, was seriously p拢拢ed, as some numpty had played with her sights, meaning we both just lost a chance at Gold in the Bedfordshire pairs team comp, she normally shoots a 96-98 avg , but today 88 final round and all because some new guy who's a bit of a know it all, thought the sights where off, even though we labelled the rifle "comp user" please do not adjust! All her shots fell left thus scoring 8's not 9's or 10's, she stormed off the range!

Registered
Your Anschutz is beautiful! It is easy to see why you feel as you do about it without even considering the sentiment behind it. What caliber is it?

I've been doing some research on the diopter sights and I am sure that I will have a number of questions for you. Are the sights designed for specific distances? There were a few references to this aspect of diopter sights, but, I have yet to find any details. I will continue to research.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Its a .22lr i had it head spaced for Eley ammo, but it prefers RWS Rifle match,

Honestly if you've never fired an Anschutz target rifle its something to behold, the build quality, blueing and Teutonic lines of these rifles is dangerous, once you try one you'll hanker after it, you have been warned, Much like a good scope, once you looked through a Schmidt and Bender or Zeiss there's no going back

They are slightly overpriced, especially in the US, however much like any thoroughbred, these rifles win in the Olympics. They will easily hold their own again fancy newcomers like Begara and Voodoo any day, seek out 54 actions the parts are getting rare but you'll probably never need any parts!

Registered
Wow. That target is similar to the ones we used in the Junior NRA, but, there were only 5 bulls per target. I was trying to remember what it was we were shooting. I know we didn't have 'match' ammo, in fact, I'm not sure it even existed in 1960! I remember we had a rifle assigned to each individual and they were all stored in the same place...
not stopping some dork from jacking with you sights! I remember the rifles were single shot bolts, bull barrels and referred to as a "42X", ring any bells? I have no idea who made them.
I do know I never shot a target as good as that 98 you showed me. I did win a few of the competitions, whoopee, got my name and picture in the AFB paper! I did getva couple of little trophies.

Super Moderator
To each his own. No harm - no foul. I care not how expensive they are nor how tightly they group at any range. To me, those modern Anschutz rifles above look an awful like prosthetic limbs for an amputee and I am NOT impressed by those. Show me a rifle in well grained, traditional shaped, semi- or high-gloss hardwood and I become a Happy Camper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I wholeheartedly agree!

Well those chassis cost as much as a really nice rifle or 3, or a second hand car!

For an individual a fully adjustable stock is not a great investment, they make little sense as you would adjust them to suit you and then never re-adjust them, maybe in 3 positional shooting when you transition from prone to kneeling and the standing, but no one in our club does that!

The NSRA small-bore targets are really tiny the center is 8mm so you have to be quite precise with releasing the shot, finding your natural point of aim, controlling your breathing, maintaining a correct position

Our club Secretary "boss" she can regularly get a 100, I'm still waiting for mine as you get a pin badge from our club for your 1st "ton"

still we have an old Scottish guy with a BSA international who regularly gets 98-99

Registered
@Discontinued
You mentioned the 3 shooting positions, yet, I saw a few pictures of a man laying down with his rifle resting on the inside of his right leg. He looked to be in an uncomfortable position requiring him to be holding his head up at an angle to look through his sights....what is that? I have never seen that position before...I'd be fearful of shooting my foot!

Registered
Yes the sight are set to suit 25 yard targets the targets themselves scale up at 50 yards and 100-200 yards

Eddie, I think you got cheated. Your target should have been a 99! The upper left bull, yes, you are surely in the 9 ring. However, the bull below and right of the "9", appears to be inside the 10 ring. Yes, the paper tore into the 9 ring, but, the clean hole does not look to be touching! Admittedly, I am not there with the little tool they use to determine bullet center, but, it sure looks like a 10 to me!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think you are right!

I think that's a 99, some of our scorers are a bit mean!

I think I still have the target somewhere I might have to get them to gauge it and rescore it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
@Discontinued
You mentioned the 3 shooting positions, yet, I saw a few pictures of a man laying down with his rifle resting on the inside of his right leg. He looked to be in an uncomfortable position requiring him to be holding his head up at an angle to look through his sights....what is that? I have never seen that position before...I'd be fearful of shooting my foot!
Oh that's called the Supine or Creedmoor position, it was invented or by a Colonel Fergusson in the 18th century, Its getting rarer to see these days but there is a contingent of shooter who excel in this postiton

The Back Position

Registered
The Research Press article you sent was most interesting!
The 'Creedmore' or 'supine' position looks like something designed for a contortionist! The 'Texas' position description stated that the thumb was used on the trigger, however, the picture (drawing) shows the right hand index finger on the trigger. It is difficult for me to imagine trigger activation with a thumb.

I don't know how you come up with all the pictures and articles pertinent to our conversation, but, they are very interesting and educational. I have already learned a lot from you... sincere thanks.

We're it not for the dreaded triple digit temperatures and high humidity, I would be at the range refining the zero on a couple of my rifles.

What is this rifle of your wife's that you wanted to remove/change the muzzle break? Surely it is not an AK?
I did not think you were allowed to own such in GB?
What are the restrictions on firearms (both long guns and hand guns) now? There is a large contention of folks here that would like to see a total ban on guns and a larger group that wish to outlaw "assault" weapons. The latter mentioned group are the ones that know the least about any of the black guns. They think this will stop mass shootings.
The real facts are that most killings are done with hand guns and you can be assured that the criminals won't be handing in their weapons enmasse. The fact remains that anything can be an assault weapon if it is used in an assault! A baseball bat is a good example.

It is 2pm here, so, is it 8pm or 8am in London? I know I could look it up, but, I am too lazy.

Enough blather, stay safe,
R

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Its 09:20 here,

The law makes little sense!

A shotgun is really easy to get in the UK unbeknownst to most Brits its actually your right to own a shotgun! provided you have secure storage, the police have to prove you are not suitable to own one so unless you have a criminal record or severe mental health issues you will be passed they cant say no!

Rifles require jumping through some hoops as a rifle is seen as a "privilege" and has, in the eyes of the law to be possessed for a "good reason" i.e. a target shooter who is a member of a Home office approved club, Alternatively, if you are a hunter on private land for this you would need a letter from the landowner or evidence that it is your property if you are the landowner

Each country or region has its own nonsensical laws, I remember inquiring about taking my 10/22 to Finland and was told it was so short. Therefore it was classed as a pistol and as a UK certificate holder I was prohibited from bringing it to Finland???

In the UK We are not allowed pistols or pump action or semi automatic rifle's except in .22 rimfire/magnum and in shotguns. Shotguns are generally restricted to 3 shots, however you can do a target or practical shotgun course if you want a high capacity pump or semi auto slug shotgun. Pistol's and semi auto rifles are bad, but you can have an AK 12 or Remmy 1100 slug gun???

Perfectly legal in the UK

Essentially the law banned "short guns" anything with less than 12 inches of barrel and overall 24 inches is permitted. The infamous UK long barrelled pistol is allowed but these look hideous, I dislike them

Short pistols for humane dispatch are allowed for deer stalkers and pest controllers and these are usually limited to two shots so the magazine is pinned or chambers blocked

Heritage pistols such as war relics or curios are allowed but have to be stored in an armoury i.e. you cannot take them home, or use them in competition

Muzzle loading pistols are allowed and there are even modern muzzle loaders made by Westlake engineering but they are very expensive, they use .38 wadcutters with shotgun primers

The Ex's AK is quite rare as its a UK legal straight pull version of an AK103, the gas tube is blocked, well the barrel has no port.

The things we are allowed are silencers and short barrels well 12 inches/30cm is the bare minimum, so I could get my Handi cut down to 12 inches and threaded for a moderator

I don't know I seem to be good at posting pics, I'm of rimfire central as well as some other forums for flight sim and online wargames, so I'm a bit of an old hand,

What do they say a picture tells a thousand stories?

Registered
Oh that's called the Supine or Creedmoor position, it was invented or by a Colonel Fergusson in the 18th century, Its getting rarer to see these days but there is a contingent of shooter who excel in this postiton

The Back Position
Are you talking about the man who invented the Fergusson rifle?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Those Ak's are 12 bore slug shotguns, with drum mags! totally legal but you have to do a safety/training course before the police will ok you for one,

Check out TGS outdoors when two traditionalist shooters try their hand at practical shotgun

If you're into shotguns, I highly recommend this channel,

Registered
Who needs a drum when you can have a Mossberg semi-auto with a 3 ft long feed tube!
The video was cool...I would love to try that course, or, the good looking bleached blonde bird!
Dirty old man I am. 馃懘

Registered
I like the blonde bird too phwoar
Shooting ladies are a magnitude more attractive
So they are still called "birds"? I was thinking that would have faded away with all the politically correct B.S.! You can tell I'm old....they are still "broads" to me.

Back to the 10/22.....I could have stopped at 3 applications, but, there were a few contaminates in the rag I used and they caused some minute bumps that didn't show badly. The problem was that they could easily be felt. I use some thin cotton inspection gloves to feel every cm虏 and I could feel the imperfections. That required a little 4/0 steel wool and the fourth (very light) coat. For a 40+ yr old stock it looks pretty good.

I was glad the metal had always been properly oiled and there was no place on the stock that had oil on it. I have refinished a couple that had become oil soaked and it is pure de **** getting it out of the wood for finishing. I always finish the inside of a stock to help prevent that. Petroleum oil doesn't rub in very well 馃槙.

Back to the 'chick'.....what is "phwoar?" Based on context I am thinking it is tantamount to "whoa" or "wow" or some other exclamation of approval.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts