Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
have a 500 S&W. Would love to shoot it more but the recoil is just not fun. Anyone have a "nice" light load?
Any help would be cool!!!
Thanks!
jim

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Depends what powder you have around. I use Blue Dot (start with 10 gr) with a 340 gr Cu plated lead bullet. I use pillow stuffing to keep the powder at the bottom of the case - it is position sensitive. I went up til I got about 1250 fps.

There are powders (Trailboss) that are designed to fill the case with a low velocity load. These are ok if you have them and they give you the velocity you want. I didn't have Trailboss and I wanted a bit more velocity than it would give.

Titegroup would have also worked for me (without the pillow stuffing - so I am told), but I didn't have any.

mike

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
have a 500 S&W. Would love to shoot it more but the recoil is just not fun. Anyone have a "nice" light load?
your honesty is refreshing. ilearned that lesson the hard way also; only via a 454. went to a 44 and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Try the 500 Special Loads...

There are loads listed in the Handi Rifle forum.

·
Administrator
26,165 Posts
Once again I have to shake my head and wonder what the heck are you doing with a gun of this sort since you knew going in you were a bit recoil sensitive. Not my business and I'm not trying to tell you yours but it makes no sense to me that folks just gotta have one of the latest .50s or .500s knowing that they don't like heavy recoil.

I don't either but then I'm not gonna buy a revolver that the caliber starts with a 5 on either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts