Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2nd ar for a while now, but find myself yearning for a more traditional firing mechanism. my favorite mil surplus guns are chinese or old russian sks's. very solid and reliable firing mechanisms, very accurate, but not very ergonomic(easy to fix with aftermarket stock) and quick change, reliable 30 rd. last rd. hold open mags are not in existence yet. plus I'm talking 223/556. Anyone have any ideas for me other than the ones listed in the title?

·
2,655 Posts
Had a Romanian AK in .556 / .223. It was never reliable, at least one malfunction per magazine. Tried a half dozen different mags to no avail, so I sold it. It was not a very impressive AK. I have a H&K G-93, which is basically a G-3 / H&K 91 in .556 / .223. Excellent weapon, but no longer produced, and expensive if you find one. That delayed roller lock action is reliable as sin. A company called "PTR" makes high quality clones of this rifle at more reasonable prices. So does Century Arms, but their quality can be spotty.

H&K also made a line of full stocked sporting rifles using the roller lock action and detachable mags., but they are even harder to find, and more expensive than a G-93.

Larry

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
on the affordable not-so-scarce side are the mini's.
never had a problem with one.

·
2,655 Posts
Agree with Mini-14, especially the newer ones for accuracy. The HK's came to mind as per the Ops request for something other than a mini, AR, Keltec, or AK. The pickins start to get thin...:)

Larry

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
yes h.k.'s are the cream.
i've just not seen an affordable one
for sale in many years.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
How about the Saiga automatic rifle, or the Ares semi-auto rifle?

A friend of mine picked up the Ares at Gander Mountain, and says he likes it, but the trigger is a little heavy. The rifle is based on the AR, but it has the traditional style stock. I think he paid around 5 bills. This rifle uses AR/M-16 type magazines. I called him, and he told me it was $849.

I read about the Saiga, which is based on the AK system, but I have yet to see one in the stores.

Both rifles are .223/5.56 compatible.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Bigeasy said:
Had a ... I have a H&K G-93, which is basically a G-3 / H&K 91 in .556 / .223. Excellent weapon, but no longer produced, and expensive if you find one. That delayed roller lock action is reliable as sin. A company called "PTR" makes high quality clones of this rifle at more reasonable prices. So does Century Arms, but their quality can be spotty.

H&K also made a line of full stocked sporting rifles using the roller lock action and detachable mags., but they are even harder to find, and more expensive than a G-93.

Larry
Ranger99 said:
yes h.k.'s are the cream.
i've just not seen an affordable one
for sale in many years.
Agreed, the HK/G3 system is great, but it's murder on the brass. It's possible to reload brass fired from a HK, but not really good for anyone that reloads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.