Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took out my new sako this morning and found some light service rust, must be thanks to some recent humid weather. I thought I had it oiled well enough. How can I get rid of it without harming the bluing?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
WD-40 and oooo steel wool. Rub lightly and it'll take it off without hurting the bluing. Don't fall for all the old wives tales about either one, I've done this dozens of times with no problems. Only one of my own though. I put a rifle in a plastic hard case under the glass of a hatchback, and had a coat of rust all over it in just a few hours. I never would of believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Don't waste any time doing it though. If you don't have the steelwool soak it with WD-40 or any oil while you go get what you need to finish. Most important is to stop the rust ASAP.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What are you oiling (brand name) your firearm with and how are you storing it? I have had some great luck with plain old BreakFree CLP. I have been at the family farm for weeks at a time with the initial wipe down and never had any rust accumulate. If you are storing your gun in a foam/closed case, stop doing this. Gun cases accumulate moisture. Better to store them open.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
After you get the rust off of it apply automotive wax to the finish after removing all of the oil. It would be a good bet to remove the action from the stock and check it all over. Do you store the rifle in a rifle case, gun cabinet, or a safe? It's not good to store firearms in a soft case as they will draw moisture. If you have a safe and it doesn't have a dehumidifying device you need to install one.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
I keep my covered with Rem Oil, every time I use my firearms, I spray them down with it afterwards. Works good.They make some kind of a white teflon ( I think it's Teflon) pads for kitchen use, stole one from my better half and used it on a old "snake charmer 410" that had rusted under my truck seat. Took rust off real well.....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rust

thanks guys, used 0000 steel wool and hoppes #9 worked like a charm, she's back in service or is that surface.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts