Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro-in-law recently purchased a blued/synthetic Tikka 695 (Whitetail Hunter, I think). We have tried several different factory loads for it (Federal Fusion, Fed 100 gr Ballistic Tip, Fed 100 gr TSX, Rem Core Lokt, Federal 115gr Partition) without one of them really standing out. The Federal 100gr Ballistic Tip performed the best at about 1.5 MOA. My bro-in-law was really hoping for better performance out of this gun. I also bought a Tikka 25-06 T3 at about the same time and mine shoots the Fusion ammo at sub MOA. Below is a target that was shot at 200 yards. The actual spread of this group is about 3.5". If you take out the "flyer" at the 2 o'clock position, its a 2 1/8" group. To me, that's a very acceptable group for a straight factory gun with factory ammo but he was hoping for better results.

Thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
797 Posts
I consider the 25/06Rem a difficult caliber, either with factory fodder or handloads. I let my two Sons pick a rifle out of my rifles and the younger chose the Ruger M77 tang safety that was my Dads. This rifle was not very accurate with my handloads and I questioned him about his choice but he wanted that rifle. To make a long story shorter, he now lives in Tacoma, WA. where he is stationed in the Army and he buys and shoots factory ammo. He said his 25/06 wouldn't group under 5" at 100 yds. He came home last weekend and brought the rifle back with him and I sent him home with my Tikka T3 Lite 300WSM and kept the 25 here with me. The other day I decided to try making up some handloads for it and found that a 120 grain Speer bullet and 50.5 grains of IMR4350 will put three shots overlapping at 100 yds. if I let the barrel cool between shots. I made the same test loads using Hornady 117 grain Interlocks and it put them at about 3". It isn't that this caliber won't shoot but it doesn't just fall into accuracy. I have nown several guys that have bought this cartridge rifle and shortly traded them off because they couldn't get them to shoot. Maybe your B-I-L should take up reloading as a hobby or trade the 25 on a 30/06 as they are easy to find accurate loads for "usually". I have a minimum requirement of sub MOA for my rifles and if I can't get that they are out of here. I really llike sub half MOA, but alas that is sometimes not possible nor reasonable, even for me when the rifle and loads are doing their job.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts