Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of rabbits slipping through my fence browsing on my garden. I have been trying for 2 weeks to get rid of them. They always come at night. First, I tried a box trap baited with an apple. The first night one of them went in it and the door jammed on the way down. Now, they won't go back in. I have been trying to snare them. I did catch one in the snare, but he broke my stake off at the ground and ran away with it. I found the snare in the woods without a rabbit attached. I was able to get a shot on one with an air rifle. I was able to shoot one last night with an air rifle. I prefer not to shoot in the neighborhood because the neighbors might be rabbit lovers. I was shooting in safe direction. I'm starting to feel liker Elmer Fudd.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Always stake to hold an elephant--then you are not let down.
Get yourself some #110 body grippers and put them where they are going through you fence.
Tom

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Also, not many people know this but rabbits are attracted to fish or fish oil... Make a box with two open ends, one covered by wire... put either fresh fish or fish oil inside box at end with wire, put 110 in other open end.... lets us know how you do.... good luck Elmer.....LOL...

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Well i didnt think so till years ago while trapping **** in boxes i used salmon and was catching cotton tail rabbit regularly in body grip set up boxes.... sooo.... im just relating what has and is still happening..... maybe rabbit wants healthy oils....LOL...

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help with trapping rabbits. Got Him.

I went out a little while ago and saw the limb bouncing I had my spring snare tied to. He was able to pull him self back through the fence. He was still alive so I had to knock him in the head with a stick. The wire loop had caught him a little far back. I caught him right in front of the back legs. Next time on these small rabbits I think I will use a smaller loop. I'll leave my snares and traps out a few more days, but I think I got them all.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found more fresh tracks in my garden today. I reset my snares this afternoon. I went outside a few minutes ago and saw a rabbit near my garden. Didn't get a chance to shoot him because he took off. Somehow he slipped right past my snare. I probably have it set too low since I'm setting it close to one of the holes he is crawling through.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Set the bottom of yr snare four fingers fm the ground. When you see a rabbit note the distance between the bottom of his jaw and the ground just in case you have a smaller or larger than usual bunnifer...LOL.... Keep at it... Are you harvesting the meat? If not for now , freeze for winter. Make into stew, pot pies ect good stuff and belly warmer.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Those wasculwy wabbits... :eek: 8)

I like a nice quiet suppressed air-rifle for these situations. If possible seal off all the ways into the garden that the rabbits are using but one. At this one opening, narrow it down and set either a snare or a 110 conibear trap. Only set the 110 if legal in your area.

A nice frosty morning or a light snowfall will quickly show you where they are entering and exiting the garden. Failing that...take a rake and work the ground, then look for tracks early the next morning.

But a nice quiet air-rifle is hard to beat for the active hunter in me.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RdFx,

Of course I'm eating them. I had rabbit stew last week. It is one of my favorites.

Rock Home,

I managed to shoot one late yesterday evening with an air rifle. He was about 30 yards slipping through the fence. I made a good head shot on him. The Benjamin Steel Eagle put him down quick. It is a good shooting air rifle. I just can't get used to the recoil from the gas piston.

·
Registered
991 Posts
BENJAMIN!!!...Small World. 8)

I grew up hunting birds and small game in my pre-teen years with a Benjamin pump in .22 calibre. It had quite a crack with 10 or 12 pumps in it. Gawd I loved that gun.

Now I use a scoped Air Arms TX200...its a 1-holer out to 30-35 yrds and with a rest I can keep her to dime sized groups at 50 yrds. But with that barrel shroud...so quiet...like a whisper.

·
Registered
991 Posts
...this just hit me.

Rabbits have thin fragile bones. #0 longsprings work great for trapping rabbits...and rats as well.

Just sayin...

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
RdFx said:
Also, not many people know this but rabbits are attracted to fish or fish oil... Make a box with two open ends, one covered by wire... put either fresh fish or fish oil inside box at end with wire, put 110 in other open end.... lets us know how you do.... good luck Elmer.....LOL...
Wabbits may like fish and fish oil........................but puddy tats do too! Feral cats are going to love you!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On my snares what size loop should I use for small cotton tail rabbits? From what I have read most people recommend a 6-7 inch loop. However, I think my rabbits are passing right through it. The one I did catch was caught around the stomach. I have been setting my snares at about 4-6 inches from the bottom.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Set the snare 2 finger widths off the ground, with a 3 to 4 inch loop. That should take 'em right around the neck. Use some fencing to narrow down their choices and encourage them to go through the snare.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Traps are a pretty solid bet, catch rates are higher.

Yet when I put my gear into my Haversack, grab my charcoal burner, and head to the mountains for a weekend of hunting and living off the land...I like to slip a few snares in with the rest of my gear. I can fit a lot of snares for the weight of one trap, and when one of my snares catches me dinner...that is such a satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts