Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a great morning in the woods Saturday. My Henry 44 and I were done before 830. I had a doe come by early and ended up about 40yds. I squeezed the trigger on her and after a short sprint was done. About 20 minutes later I saw a doe going through the brush at around 60yds followers by a big, dark body. I knew it was a buck! He slowly came out nudging her and showed his rack. That’ll work! I took steady aim, pulled and he disappeared. After a second or two he comes into view again quickly shaking his tail. I always shoot til down and put it at the base of his neck to which he crumbled immediately. The Barnes Vor-Tx 225gr XPB did a fantastic job. I recovered the bullet that went through his shoulder and it still weighed 216gr. The buck was a 10, but had broken off both beams on the end making him an 8. Weighed right at 200lbs. It took a bit to find some factory ammo that would group how I wanted. 44ammo around here is not found easily. The mag tech 240 soft points just didn’t have the consistency I wanted. Glad one of the local gun stores got the Barnes in! They always shoot great out of my in-line ML.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Very nice ! I have the Henry BBS in 45 Colt and just took my first deer with that gun last week. I have used Barnes XPB’s in .357 and .430 and have had quick kills with both.
I haven’t tried them in the 45 as yet but they usually shoot well in every caliber I have loaded them in.
Congrats to you and the boy !

jedman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks y’all! Yes, I was impressed with the bullet for sure and just love how smooth are those Henry’s. The Barnes ML bullet performs the same way out of my old Knight in-line and drives tacs as well. I’d say they make a good product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts