Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was in one of my favorite haunts (a sport goods emporeum that happens to sell a good mix of firearms) where I looked over their post Xmas offerings and I was struck by a tiny all stainless rifle chambered in .22lr. It was a Henry Mini Bolt Rifle built for youths. I being on the comfortable side of the big 40 and having a 13-year-old step son that already could play HS foot ball (mucho food bills) :eek: I could only justify putting it in lay-a-way by saying that it looks to be a good woods loafing (my wife's words) gun and another birthday is looming on the horizon :shock: . It looks to be a good companion with my pistols (or without them). Any body else pretending to be a youngster???

kjeff50cal

·
Registered
164 Posts
As one of my friends put it 'I don't know how long I can stay 14." He and I have gotten to fifty on the calendar and still haven't got past 14. So buy any toys you can afford and try to wear them out.
The only problem with those little guns is they don't fit a full size man very well. You might need to lengthen the length of pull an inch or so before you can shoot it well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Granted I'm in older company here (I'm 26), but I love the "starter" rifles. Though I have many .22s, my favorite to hunt with is the single shot Winchester I learned to shoot as a boy. Nastalgia is a powerful and mysterious force.

Texas Squirrel Hunter :gulp:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first gun was a Garcia Bronco Rifle chambered in .22 Mag. My Mom and I went to a magical place that no longer exists called Glenn Slades in Houston. That was a GUN store. Complete with stuffed big game animals (including a Polar Bear I swair was 14 feet tall) I was 12 at the time and the clerk was a newbie. I had done my homework and for my birthday I wanted that model in .22lr. The salesman want to the back to find it and shortly came back with said rifle, but not in .22lr, in .22Mag stating that they were about the same :eek: I thought fast and agreeded. and got a box of solids thown in. All for $22- 1972 dollars. It was and is a strange little rifle and accounted for many a tree rat and rabbit. I still have it although the main spring is now too weak (it takes to hits to detonate a .22mag). So it is retired to a place of honor in my gun room.

kjeff50cal

·
Registered
56 Posts
Center-fire Henry Small Game Rifle

I recently emailed Henry Arms about the idea of making a modern equivalent of the Savage 23, center-fire, bolt-action, clip-magazine, small game rifle. I envision something like a 1930s era classic sporter, with 24" barrel, but modern ghost-ring rear sight, chambered for the .32 S&W Long / .32 H&R Mag; .25-20 WCF, .32-20 WCF or .22 Hornet. An option could be to make a take-down back packer's version similar to the Air Force M4 bolt-action survival gun, but to me the quiet report of a long barrel with subsonic ammo is what makes the concept attractive. If the barrel is shorter than about 22" it is simply too loud, even with subsonic loads, such as factory .32 S&W Long 98-gr. LRN or HBWCs.

Many suburban areas where hunting is still legal are being lost to urban sprawl. Even the mild crack of high speed .22 LR or .22 WMR is objectionable. Silence is "Golden." I have some experience with English rook rifles and went to some expense to have a gunsmith make me a .32 S&W Long "American Rook Rifle" using a tiny antique single-shot rifle action. Ordinary .32 S&W Long factory loads are very quiet, like subsonic .22 LR and just as accurate, but with much better killing power than a .22 LR. You can also handload the .32 S&W Long in a strong revolver such as the Ruger or S&W Model 31 to approximate .32 H&R Magnum ballistics, of about 1000-1050 f.p.s. in a revolver or 1300 f.p.s. in a rifle, though you need to stay below about 1050 f.p.s., using lead bullets only (so that you don't stick one in the bore!) for minimum noise, and below 900, around 850 is ideal for low noise. This is possible with factory lead loads for the .32 S&W Long without having to reload. Or use any lead .32-20 lead bullet from 85-120 grains with 2 grs. of Bullseye, 2.5 grs. of W-W231 or 3 grs. of Unique. For a heavy load in a strong gun such as a Ruger, to approxiate the .32-20 load 6.0 start to 7.0 max. of #2400 with a 85-100 grain bullet in Remington cases with the Federal 200 primer.

Years ago the .32-20 and .25-20 were the primo small game getters. Today people have lost the concept of a mild, quiet rifle which doesn't make your ears ring or grind tender eating game into fur burgers.

The .32 H&R Magnum is the full equal of the .32-20 and is a good 100-yard. varmint, small game and wild turkey gun. The brass is easier to reload, longer lived, and companion handguns are readily available.

If you agree that a modern center-fire small game gun, with a traditional, agricultural flavor is needed, please email or write Henry Arms to express your support. They need to assess the market to see if there is adequate demand to do this.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ed Harris,
I too thought of a rifle (or idealy a carbine) in some of those "obsolete" calibers. If you read some of my posts in single shot rifles, you will see I "had" an almost perfect little Uberti Rolling Block cabine that was rechambered to .357Max. It digested .357 Mag and .38spe. also, and was almost silent with .38 WC. Unfortunately, Uberti does not chamber their new Baby Rolling Block in .357 & mine is long gone :(

kjeff50cal

·
Registered
52 Posts
youth rifle

:D you could also look at a cz model 452 youth 22 lr, i just got on for my duaghter, shoots single or can put in a 5 or 10 round clip 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts