Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in your quest for velocity with your powder coated bullets have you ever tried coating the bullet then running it through a lube sizer and lubing the bullets. I wonder if that would buy you even more velocity. Or would the trip through the lube sizer destroy the coating? I fooled with bullets both conventionaly lubed and tumble lubed and it seemed to help a bit.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
I'm not Dinny Lloyd but have worked with powder coated a bit. I haven't noted any dying need for lubing although it "usually" doesn't seem to hurt. Haven't noticed any additional velocity either. The powder coat seems to run pretty clean in my experience but I haven't tried over 2000 as yet. Just hasn't come up is all. When I tried powder coated in the 50 Beowulf they worked fine but I had to rub off all the lube on the front of the bullet, they were tumble coated, alox blend. The lube seemed to interfer with chambering, the Wulf is a little particular at times.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
From what I've seen, running the powder coated bullets through a sizer doesn't damage the coating, and many people do just that to get the size they want. I don't know if lubing them would allow you to push them any faster though.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Here I am! :)

I haven't lubed any bullets that I coated. I have read where lube-on-powder reduces the needed friction for good neck tension and actually degrades accuracy.

Lloyd, do you want some to try? I don't have a means to lube bullets other than tumble lube with LLA.

Thanks, Dinny

·
24,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to late in the year to fool with it now dinny. Deer seasons here and then snow so my range is not available till spring. Maybe then ill get ahold of you and give some a try.
Dinny said:
Here I am! :)

I haven't lubed any bullets that I coated. I have read where lube-on-powder reduces the needed friction for good neck tension and actually degrades accuracy.

Lloyd, do you want some to try? I don't have a means to lube bullets other than tumble lube with LLA.

Thanks, Dinny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts