Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was looking on Smith and Wesson's website and noticed a line of revolvers
they sell called the "Classics." The had a model 29 44 Mag, but no model 27!
I would bet that if Smith and Wesson were to bring back the model 27 that
they couldn't keep up with the demand for it. Come on Smith and Wesson!
What are you waiting for? The model 27 has to be one of the best 357's
ever made in my humble opinion. The only change I would want to the
original would be a red ramp front and a white outline rear sites. No rubber
or plastic grips either! Wood target grips like the ones pictured only!
What say you guys?

Robert

·
Registered
557 Posts
SM said:

The model 27 has to be one of the best 357's
ever made in my humble opinion. The only change I would want to the
original would be a red ramp front and a white outline rear sites...
Wood target grips like the ones pictured only!
What say you guys?

Robert
Robert,

I agree with you concerning it has to be one of the best 357's but disagree with your choice of sights, I prefer the target set up like pictured on your revolver.
Funny how you got the patridge sights and I ended up with the RR/WO!

Hope they listen to you but we may be the only two who like the big bruiser.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I'd like to see S&W offer three dot tritium sights on their revolvers as an option. Either adjustable or fixed for the use. 4" and under fixed and longer adjustable. I think it would be the perfect hunting and personal gun. In the middle of the night I like being able to see something when/ if I have to point the thing and in the woods the deer come out dusk and the glowing sights would help. I know they offer the fiber optic sights but it looks like a Toy with plastic attached to the top.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
StrawHat,
Actually I don't own a model 27 right now. I used to have one back in the 80's.
It was a 6" just like the one pictured. I had a gunsmith re do the sites to rr front
and wo rear. It made a world of difference for me. Out to 50 yards that gun
was a "death ray" on jackrabbits. I didn't use it much for paper punching. I
could see how the target sights might be better for that purpose. I really
miss my model 27. Unfortunately I had to sell it when I came on hard times.
I really want to get another model 27, and I am able to now, unfortunately,
I am not able to get a used model 27 here in the People's Republik Of
Kalifornia because it is not on the state Department of Injustice's list
of handguns certified for sale in once golden state. That's one of the reasons
I would like to see Smith and Wesson bring back this classic revolver. They
could submit it to the department of injustice here and it would be available.
I think the combination of the large "N" frame and the 357 Mag cartridge is
a real winner.

Mcwoodduck,
I have a set of Trigicon nite sights on my 1911. I really like them!
I agree, most fiber optic sites are pretty much a joke.

Robert

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
SMBob,
I too live in the DPRC and I just recently purchased a M28 4". You just have to hit the used shelves and look for a consignment gun or private party transfer. I have seen a couple on N frames in the Shootist in Murrieta but he usually wants a mint for anything decent.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mcwoodduck,
I live just South of there in North County. We're practically Neighbors.
Other than Turner's are there any good gun shops up your way? I get
most of my stuff down in San Diego.

Robert

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Sure neighbor,
There is the Shootist in Murrieta three doors down from the post office in old town.
Annie's get your gun (was Dave's) In Corona on 6th street. Take 2nd exit in corona on the west bound 91 from the 15 and head south. Turn right on 6th and it's about a mile or two on the left. (Where I buy most of the time) I'll be there Tuesday for a pickup. Used Sig P229 in 9mm.
And J&W in riverside. Almost Colton on the 215 Fwy.
If you get out to the Palm Springs area there is R&R just off the 111 just south of Down town. (where I found My M28)
All four do great business in new and used guns. There is always a new flow of items in.
A few of these shops will take a wish list from you and call you if they get in what you want. They will require a little $ down. When it comes in they call you go look and if you like, it's yours, if not it goes out in the case.
I'm not a fan of turners. You may want to take a trip to the Bass Pro shop in Ontario. There is a really good Cigar shop you will go by called David's gifts and Tobacco.
I also belong to a club that has a 200 yard range that has shoots near lakes mathews (Just south of Corona) There are club shoots in the mornings on the weekends, usually over by noon and the range is open from sun up to sun down. At the end of the month we will have a 3 Gun shoot and the first Sunday we have a tactical pistol shoot as well as target rifle and handgun, cowboy, black powder, and a running deer shoot.
If your looking for a place to shoot.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mcwoodduck,
Thanks for the tips on the gunshops! I really appreciate it!
I don't have the slightest problem what so ever driving
a ways to get a quality firearm at a good price. I'll drive
500 miles one way if that's what it takes. It's all an
adventure for me!
I have been to Bass Pro a couple of times. It's OK.
I have to be honest though. The place doesn't even
compare to Cabela's in Glendale Az. (Phoenix) Cabela's
has 1,000,000% better prices and selection for everything
associated with shooting and hunting than Bass Pro.
It's not even close!!!!!! I can't wait for the day when Cabela's
opens a store in SoCal! I will be there camped out waiting for
the doors to open! I am also no fan of Turner's! They will
never get anymore of my business!
Thanks also for the tip on the range. Do they have a website?

Robert

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
I was thinking you could hit all three or four places in a single day.
I like Cabala's better as well, but they are not here yet. If I don't place in order with them every few months they send me a get well card.
Bass Pro does have good prices on Bulk ammo and they are here. It's also a good place to look at new or different models.
E-mail me about the club and I can send you more information. We do not have a Website yet. The club is torn between an open site and a password site. Privacy issues and giving out names of people who have firearms. Don't get me wrong it's not about the black helicopter crowd it's about criminals targeting those people and now being armed.
My e-mail address is under Homer. I tried to send it to you before and it screws up the post.
Hope to see you at the range soon. I'll forward a news letter to you.
Brian

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
BUT, will it have the "finely checkered" top strap like this?

And be put together with the care of fit and finish like the old ones have?

I wouldn't buy a "so called" classic that doesn't have the pinned bbl., recessed cartridges cases and fit and finish of the old models...

Now, if they want to bring out a new "N" frame in 357 mag. with locks ect., then that's another matter, but it sure won't be a M-27...

DM

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't forget the 627 from the "gun of the week period" of the late 80s and early 90s! I have a pair of those cannons lurking in the safe. They are excellent shooters. As heavy as they are with a 5.5 full lug barrel, it take's awful hot ammo to make them jump.

I saw a used 6 inch several weeks ago. It got snapped up pretty quick by someone who knew a good thing. A used N frame 357 is a pretty rare item around St. Louis MO.

Later

·
Registered
237 Posts
"Classics" were to my mind those fine lines of guns with their presentation chests. Those Classics were being sold when I first was infected with the "gun-bug" --- bigtime. So every payday would bring me to my favorite gunstore of that time, Ramsey Outdoor Stores in Paramus, N.J., [but now I am a longtime resident of Seattle, WA.] So back then I started my line of Smith & Wesson guns with examples like the Model 27 with an 8 3/8 " barrel, a Model 29, a Model 25, etc., all with the presentation boxes as shown above and the old blueing that we have not seen for decades from S&W.

Thanks,

JHT

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know if it's true or not, but I was in a gun store
in San Diego yesterday and the guy behind the counter
said he saw a flier from Smith and Wesson that said they
are going to start producing a 4" blue N frame 357. It
will run around $1000

Robert

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
mcwoodduck said:
I'd like to see S&W offer three dot tritium sights on their revolvers as an option. Either adjustable or fixed for the use. 4" and under fixed and longer adjustable. I think it would be the perfect hunting and personal gun. In the middle of the night I like being able to see something when/ if I have to point the thing and in the woods the deer come out dusk and the glowing sights would help. I know they offer the fiber optic sights but it looks like a Toy with plastic attached to the top.
Meprolight (MS?) makes three dot tritium sights for S&W. I have them on a 3" 66 (that is my bedside gun), and on my 4" 57 (my travel/camping gun). It is nice to be able to see your sights in the dark.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Right and why doesn't smith offer them as an option as well as those ugly plastic hi viz sights? Well if the factory made what we wanted gunsmiths specializing in revolvers like Hamilton Bowen would be out of business.
I am thinking of sending my M28 off to have a few things done to it.
I am also looking for a M29 in 4" to do what I really want and build up a hot special.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Robert:

I know little about S&W revolvers. Did the 686 replace the 27?

Just checked the S&W website and did not see the new 27 listed. All the other "classics" seem to be offered in either blue or nickel and I hope they do the same for this one as I think the blued guns look so good.

I suspect, however, this will be more costly than the 686 - perhaps by $100-$200 (???)

Ned

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ned,
As far as I can tell the 686 pretty much took over the 357 offerings
from S&W. I'm with you. I prefer the blue to the nickel. I am not a
fan of the small grips that the new 27 has, but that can be fixed. A
guy behind the counter at a gun shop i was in recently said the price
of these 27's would be around $1000.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
They are bringing back the model number, but it won't be a M-27...

Unless they go back to pinned bbls, recessed cyls., checkered top straps and a nicely fitted actions, it will just be the "misuse" of the old model number... :'(

DM

1 - 20 of 23 Posts