Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder if the after market hinge pins worth the cost? Now that i have bought a few barrels i see myself swapping them often to hunt different game. Should i invest in a new hinge pin?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Keeter,

been around Contenders for a long time...... what I've always found is the barrels, unless they've been messed with are usually size or close enough to lock up without play. The frames on the other hand, the older they are and the more rounds through them, tend to take the wear. My first gen easy open for example has LOTS of rounds through it but little to no abuse, just 30-30 and 44. It came with the left side bore size but the right hand bore is out of round 3 thou and oversize. In actuality it came this way. If I had sized the frame for an oversized pin all the barrels as well would have been oversize as well...... not what I really wanted. I ended up just making a specially sized pin to fit that I insert from the right side only. Made a difference for sure but the thing is you have to size it properly. I'd never just jump in and pound in an oversize pin or ream the frame without knowing exactly what I had! Bottom line and sorry to be so long winded, if it locks up tight and you really don't feel wobble when It's broke then it's probably just fine!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.