Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way back from the range yesterday, my buddy and I had to stop at his smith for a pistol part. Talking rifles with the smith got us invited in to see his private collection. He had Sharps, Spencers, Winchesters, Martinis, rolling blocks, falling blocks, top hammers, side hammers, no hammers. He had a couple of hundred museum quality pieces of 100+ year old treasure. It got me thinking, ( since he only had H&R handguns ), What did H&R rifles produced in the 1800's look like? How much has the design changed over the years?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Wouldn't it be killer if they made a limited edition of the exact same gun?
Only a short run, but we all would be running to nab them. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I take one in 45LC in a heart beat.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Heres some interesting clips from a 1909 Sears Catalog....corse the prices have gone up slightly in recient years.....especially the Colt SAA's... :roll: :-D :-D

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'll take 2 of each :grin: I wish they were still at those prices

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
2 each!! :shock: Heck ..I'd order a bakers dozen each at those prices!! :-D :-D I'd stock up on 45-70 ammo too...like a full pallet of um!! :wink:

·
Registered
922 Posts
If i had a 45-70 i would prolly do the same thing. No need of getting more than 2, after all they're not handis. :grin:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It sure is interesting brousing thru the old catalog..here is another interesting clip...note the ingredients...port wine and coca leaves..."makes weak women strong so they can do the housework" :-D :-D I bet it did revitalize ya!! :shock: Hard to believe they sold this stuff thru the mail back then....and for 64 cents a bottle too!!!

·
Super Moderator
51,043 Posts
For an old coot like Deadeye, that catalog was probably current for him at one time!!!! :eek: :-D :-D :-D :D

Tim :roll:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Now there is a pot callin the kettle black... :roll: :roll: :-D :-D :-D I'm not sure I would want to have lived back then but I sure would like to have taken advantage of the prices back then...when a dollar was worth a dollar and backed up by silver or gold and not Alan Greenspans whims

·
Super Moderator
51,043 Posts
Yup, that's fer sure!!!

Tim :wink:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Concidering a wage of about 30 to 50 cents a day( I guessing.. :wink: )...quite a few... :cry:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I know what you mean mitch. That was alot of money back then. But in todays money $20 will hardly get you 2 boxes of shells. It's sad. Wish i could go back and buy a bunch of them. :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts